Steel Soldiers is supported by:

USAFSS-ColdWarrior

Chaplain
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Seeing that you're new here....

Welcome aboard :D

Find a bunk, stow your gear, and prepare to get underway :driver:

You might take a look at this thread..... MV of the Month - February 2020 ...and consider entering your MV in this month's competition. Winners aren't always the museum restoration examples. Rarity and a good story score point with the subscribers/voters.

Again, WELCOME !

msgjd

Wow! A cable controlled back hoe! Those were getting rare when I was a kid 50+ years ago! I'll bet they are a bear to keep in clutches!
Your arm strength is not supposed to hold any powered work being done. If it does, the clutches aren't adjusted correctly. It's all about leverage. The "clutches" look like and operate like oversize automotive brake shoes. Hand levers move the clutch shoes to engage the drums to provide working force, be it swing, travel, hoist, pull, or crowd. The hand levers have adequate leverage to fairly easily engage/disengage the clutch shoes past the over-center locking cams which hold the shoes tight to the drums doing the work. Success totally depends on the tightness of the shoes and the locking cams. (but no smart operator will ever remove their hand from the lever doing work, regardless)

The only thing that gets strenuous are the cable drum brakes, which are band-type brakes operated by a pair of foot pedals. Your thighs can get very tired by afternoon. Leg pressure/strength is required to keep the cables from slacking and to control the drop of the load, the stick, the crowd... and on a backhoe, the boom. It depends on your attachment up front. Basically, you're mostly riding the brakes all day with constantly-varying foot pressure depending on what motion is going on. Your legs control the spool-out of cable from the drums, and it's your legs that are holding the load (and also the boom on a backhoe) in the air.

You are basically running two big winches. It takes coordination and be of a certain mindset to run cable machines. When your legs get tired to where you're nicking the top of dumptruck tailgates as you spool out the dipper, it's time to go home ! Been there, done that. Many many hours in these machines

Last edited:

saddamsnightmare

Wow! A cable controlled back hoe! Those were getting rare when I was a kid 50+ years ago! I'll bet they are a bear to keep in clutches!

Cheers,

Kyle
The clutches would likely be either internal block clutches or exterior contracting band clutches, wither way, I would not want to have to keep them in adjustment. A lot of the 1930's-1940's cranes had those type, or some had mechanical dog cluthes. Probably the most critical parts will be the brakes, and again, they are likely the band type with linings. We had some BE 22B's that were from that era, and by the 1970's they were pretty much shot from a lot of heavy work done by them in the meantime. Amazingly enough, folks still collect 10B and 22B BE Cranes and shovels.

Have a Great Evening!

m1010plowboy

Steel Soldiers Supporter
That's a WORKING
Bantam crane and backhoe?

It runs and moves? I see the hood up but I can't quite see the engine. Whatcha got under the hoods? I'd never guess but if I did would I guess 270? Thank you for sharing that.

Do you have a kid around with a smart phone that can take some video for us? I gotta hear that thing and I don't think I can get over the border.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks