• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Barstow- New Rules?

droprat

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Last week I had a rep preview 7 trucks @ Barstow. He told me that he was only given 30 minutes to preview all 7 trucks! He was also not allowed to start any of the vehicles or open the hoods to check fluids!!! No pictures or videos either! I understand security and time constraint's but this is a little overboard! ARE THESE PERMANENT RULES FOR BARSTOW?

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
There is nobody here on SS that can truly answer this.

This is a question for GL, not SS.

doghead

Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
What GL rep?

doghead

Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I guess we need to edit that title info.

We have not had a GL rep for a few years now.

Bummer huh?

doghead

Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I just edited the title description to be correct.

Sorry for the error/confusion.

GREENMV

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Hint to GL. If your selling a product or products and you want the best price for your product, you would think you would bend over backwards to provide the best customer service you can. For all my experience with GL or GSA over the years, I will have to say I have had nothing but friendly help from the places I have loaded out from. I have not dealt with Barstow though, It could be the person that day that was dealing with your rep was just having a bad day. I hope GL don't make It any harder than It already Is!

M35A2-AZ

Steel Soldiers Supporter
That maybe the new rules, but I think if you work with them a little and they are not busy they will help you.

TucsonVTXF

I was there (Barstow) 3 weeks ago to pick up a lot and asked to preview a few lots for a member here. I was told I would have to call and set up a appointment to view the lots separate of my load out. They were not busy at the time I just had the fuzzy that they were not open to anything out side of what was set on the schedule... yes no pics or video allowed standard ops on a base but that also depends on who allows the rules to be bent....

agentsteel

They were mostly friendly with me last month. Nearly overloaded my trailer by not centering the load over the axels, but made it safely to a place where it could be reloaded right. I'd say the guys at Barstow were pretty good to me, guards, gl reps and others along the way. There were a few uptight people, but thankfully they just told me to stop taking pictures. Just doing their jobs actually. I plan on going back when the wx permits. All in all it was a worthwhile adventure and learning experience. I'm hooked ;)

Cannoncocker

New rules at Barstow

Even in there videos they claim to be the most transparent government auction? I don't know many people that would buy a car from a regular dealer and not lift the hood? These new rules can't be good for overall sales one would think? Buying any used vehicle military or not is a crap shoot so the closer one looks perhaps the fewer surprises down the road? Rules are rules even if we don't agree with them. Nothing like buying a pig in a poke!
:3dAngus:

m16ty

Steel Soldiers Supporter
GL isn't a used car lot, they are a surplus dealer. They claim a lot of stuff on their website but if you read the terms and conditions you agree to when you bid, they don't guarantee the accuracy of anything printed on their site.

The site people can't be expected to do much of a personal inspection. If they did that for everybody that was remotely interested in a truck, they could hire another full time employee and even he couldn't get it all done. Best thing to do if you want to inspect a truck is do it yourself or get (pay) somebody else to do it for you.

Cannoncocker

New rules at Barstow

At Barstow they give you 30 mins. to inspect be it one or however many vehicles your interested in. Your appointment time to do an inspection is factored in with other customers load out times. It's your 30 mins. If there new rules don't allow the customer ( You, I , or someone else ) to do a proper inspection then I find reason for concern. OK, so you can't start the engine! Whats up with not being allowed to raise the hood? What's next, you can't open the doors or look inside? If that's the case then why go to the trouble of driving out there in the first place! Just bid up the thing to Mars from the photos and video. The rules are what they are. All I'm saying is I don't agree with them.
:3dAngus:

Retiredwarhorses

Steel Soldiers Supporter
The folks at French camp are great....never a problem, couldn't be more helpful...I only bid at French camp, if I can't go see it or drive it home....I don't want to bother...I used too bid elsewhere, but was always a problem of some sort.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks