• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

barstow to Iowa

Deino

Anyone know any transportation companies that can do a pickup in Barstow and transport an M109 to Iowa? I don't have the truck yet, but I am looking for rate quotes, trying to get ahead of this a little so when and if I win and the EUC clears i'll be ready.

hndrsonj

Senior Chief/Moderator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Why did you buy one so far away? Shipping will cost more than the truck.

wsucougarx

ahh, I would either drive it home -OR- find one closer to home. These trucks are pretty tall and will definately require a low boy. If you do commit to this, you may think about buying two to make it worth while. Sell one to recoup your shipping costs. From what I've seen they don't go for much out of Barstow.

DUG

Senior Chief/Moderator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
The quotes I got were both over 400 dollars to bring a perfectly running and stopping 109 120 miles down from Barstow. Of course you'll get a milage discount but I can bet you'll be missing a gauge panel and haven't previewed to see if it would run, start or stop.

I would suggest you get someone like Mark aka Hundy aka 100Dollarman to do the recovery and store at his place until you have a plan. (If he is still offering that service - he used to).

Be ready for some big bills no matter how you do it - ship or drive.

Deino

yeah, i know it will cost. That's not a bad idea to buy two and sell one, i'm sure there are folk around here that would want one. I'll give 100dollarman a shout and see if that's feasible. thanks for the replies so far :grin:

DUG

Senior Chief/Moderator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
They were running a LOT of trucks through Camp Dodge. Rat4Spd got a sweet truck there last year. I haven't watched anything selling in that area in awhile though. I would think it would be easier to get something from the east coast.

If you do end up with a truck near Barstow LMK and I'll try to get you some pics and info. I'm always looking for an excuse to head up that way, my active duty ID card gets me on and off base fine and I'm a fellow Iowan (until I retire in July and offically becaome a CA resident)

rat4spd

It might be worth trying to figure out how to let that truck go. For the shipping, recovery, prep and possible costs of unforseen complications of driving that all the way from cali, you could've got a sweet truck from sparta or riley if they are still running them through.

Nevermind that Camp Dodge may still be pushing them in the future. Im sure A3's will anyway.

DISCLAIMER: I have no direct knowledge of any upcoming auctions at the afformentioned locations.

ranchhopper

Call Joel pingeon out of minnesota he has trucks with or without ramps he charges me $1.60-$1.80 a mile I have used him to move all trucks bigger than a 1008 or 1009 for the last few years his number is 507-723-8070.

markmontana

Call Joel pingeon out of minnesota he has trucks with or without ramps he charges me $1.60-$1.80 a mile I have used him to move all trucks bigger than a 1008 or 1009 for the last few years his number is 507-723-8070.
That is a real good rate for long distance delivery. But the best advice is to look closer to home. As tempting as it is to grab a good deal- if you can possibly talk yourself out of it, and look for a closer deal, you will be money ahead. Of course, I don't follow my own advice.

I think there is a guy in Kansas that has a bunch of M109's that he just picked up from Ft Riley. Tons of trucks have been sold in the midwest over the summer- you might try checking for a private sale.

Best of luck what ever you do.

rat4spd

DUG, remember those sweet 109's that came out of sparta last year for a bit more than $4000?
Those were nice. IIRC they were winch trucks....things that could've been...

DUG

Senior Chief/Moderator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Rat - those were prolly some of the nicest 109s I've ever seen GL pics of. Makes me feel all warm inside thinking about them.

I thought I would be fine with a 109 out of Barstow but ended up with a rusty roof. That's why I got a rusty roof shed and a M35A2 now.

Preview or have a fat wallet.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks