• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

basket case cucv

jworth94

It looks like I've won a m1008 with, lets just say, a few issues.

The attached picture (not actually the truck in question) has a red circle around a solenoid on the firewall. I believe it's for the glow plugs. Am I right? Someone has installed a jumper at the top of that solenoid. The other end is free and the wire is only about 3 inches or so. With that in mind, what are the potential issues with that part of the vehicle if a jumper was needed to start the vehicle? Is it the actually solenoid that's bad?

cucv engine.jpg

Warthog

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Not a big issue.

The part that is circled is the Glow Plug Relay. It turns on the GlowPlugs when it recieves a signal from the GP Controller.

The Glow Plug system (controller card) quit working and they just bypassed it with the jumperwire.

You can troubleshoot the GP system and possibly fix it (usually it is bad connections). You may have to replace the controller card. They are not avaialble from GM and the parts stores but some of the MV suppliers still have them. They also come up on fleabay all the time.

Or you can buypass it with just a simple switch on the inside instead of opening the hood.

First thing I would do is check to see why it isn't working and go from there.

You will need to download all the Tech Manuals and read the troubleshooting section of the -20 manual. It covers exactly how to test the system. I even posted the step-by-step instructions just the other day.

P.S. - FYI - The picture that you posted shows that the GP system has been modified from 24v to 12v. They have rewired the RED "hot" wire from the 24v Resistor Pack on the firewall to the 12v terminal block. It works form most people but can cause issues when you attemp to jumpstart the truck if both batteries are totally dead.

Last edited:

jworth94

Thanks for the post. Great info. I'll dive into the tech manuals a little more.

I don't think the one I've got is modified. I've got a picture of the engine bay, but it doesn't really show that area all that well.

... but can cause issues when you attemp to jumpstart the truck if both batteries are totally dead.
Without going into great detail, what issues are you talking about?

Jon

Warthog

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Simple terms.......................

Assume both batteries are totally dead, the truck is still 24v and the GPs are wired for 12v.

If you attempt to jumpstart with another 24v vehicle, 12v will NOT reach the GP system and heatup the Glowplugs. 12v will only reach the glowplugs if the front battery is charged.

With the GP system wired for 24v, when the truck is jumpstarted with dead batteries, the GP system will be able to operate.

These truck LIKE to have the GPs working. It may start without them but very stubburnly.

91W350

Simple terms.......................

With the GP system wired for 24v, when the truck is jumpstarted with dead batteries, the GP system will be able to operate.

These truck LIKE to have the GPs working. It may start without them but very stubburnly.
LOL!! Truer words were never spoken...

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks