• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

BATGUANO - An M151A1 of the 265th ASA, ABN, 101st ABN

Madmedic

BATGUANO is the latest restored addition to our collection.

It's a cut/reweld 1967 Kaiser M151A1, that we received from the estate of a dear friend of ours Chief Bernard Olive, of the Baytown Fire Department. Bernard had been a medic, and he had done a partial resto with markings from his time in service. The original intent was to restore it putting back his unit markings. That is until we found a unique marking on the passenger's side. That of a yellow bat.

With help from fellow SS Members (much appreciated) we did research and discovered that this vehicle had actually been used in Viet Nam by the 265th ASA, ABN, 101st ABN. The 265th was stood up and down in Viet Nam. Once we learned that, the plans changed, and we have instead restored as best we can, with proper unit markings etc, for it's service. This is a link to a history of the 265th, with additional pictures of other jeeps and vehicles used by them in Viet Nam. http://www.bathead.com/265RRC.html

Here also are some pictures of the restored vehicle, and the original yellow bat.

Attachments

Last edited by a moderator:

Madmedic

Thanks guys. It's living in the Bat Cave of course. Had a fight with Ric to NOT go Bat Shite Crazy with gear like his gun/radio jeep. Wanted to keep it true to the picts of other jeeps used by the 265th.

Madmedic

Wholly bat sh$t, Miles! That Jeep came out great!
Mike, what's REALLY bad, was Ric. You know how he's batty about motorcycles. He wanted us to buy this

Replica batcycle at the 2020 Mecum Auction in Dallas. We would have been Fatman and Robin. Didn't get it for 2 Reasons. 1. Ric doesn't need another motor cycle, and NO ONE, I MEAN ABSOLUTELY NO ONE ever needs to see Ric in Tights.

Madmedic

Did you mistype the year in your post? Kaiser didn't produce the M151A1 after 1964.
67 Beast.... NIIIICE Collection. Yes we did mis-label it. The original data plate was illegible except for the serial number and date of manufacture. The information I could find on the web for that year was ambiguous. Yesterday I was in North Texas consulting with a certain smart ass Parts and Paint dealer to remain nameless. He had in his files a Ford data plate with the same series and 3 months later. Here are pictures of both data plates.

Attachments

Mullaney

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
67 Beast.... NIIIICE Collection. Yes we did mis-label it. The original data plate was illegible except for the serial number and date of manufacture. The information I could find on the web for that year was ambiguous. Yesterday I was in North Texas consulting with a certain smart ass Parts and Paint dealer to remain nameless. He had in his files a Ford data plate with the same series and 3 months later. Here are pictures of both data plates.
Well, for whatever it is worth to you -
There are plenty of smart ass people here in almost every line of business!
Texas doesn't have the market cornered on that type of people. :-(

cobra5

I have a 68 Ford that was assigned to the USMC and may have been over there but I can't say definitely. I have a document that shows another 151 in country that was within a few numbers of mine but again that isn't enough proof for me. The PO bought it from DRMO back in the 70's. It is basically a tub, hood, front and rear bumpers, steering column, striped control arms and it took a good side impact on the drivers side. Maybe I'll get lucky and uncover some hidden info when I get around to rebuilding it.
That original data plate has seen some years. Its always nice to find someone who has the missing information your are looking for whether they are a smart ass or not.

Madmedic

Everyone please keep in mind that my description of ...... cough cough.... Marrrrrk. (oops did I say his name?) even if he wimped out and didn't come to MVPA because he had a sniffle, Is meant tongue in cheek. And if y'all ever see me with knees or feet on his chest?? He has asthma and needed help with breathing....... really!!!!

265thBat

BATGUANO is the latest restored addition to our collection.

It's a cut/reweld 1967 Kaiser M151A1, that we received from the estate of a dear friend of ours Chief Bernard Olive, of the Baytown Fire Department. Bernard had been a medic, and he had done a partial resto with markings from his time in service. The original intent was to restore it putting back his unit markings. That is until we found a unique marking on the passenger's side. That of a yellow bat.

With help from fellow SS Members (much appreciated) we did research and discovered that this vehicle had actually been used in Viet Nam by the 265th ASA, ABN, 101st ABN. The 265th was stood up and down in Viet Nam. Once we learned that, the plans changed, and we have instead restored as best we can, with proper unit markings etc, for it's service. This is a link to a history of the 265th, with additional pictures of other jeeps and vehicles used by them in Viet Nam. http://www.bathead.com/265RRC.html

Here also are some pictures of the restored vehicle, and the original yellow bat.

Attachments

265thBat

Thanks for reaching out....picture on the right is the first CO of then265th...he BAT continues with there D Co 326th BEB 101st ABN today. The Sentinel and the Shooter is a book about US in Vietnam. I posted your pictures one our FB page, one of our guys painted that bat. John Mastro 265th RRC 71-72 and 313th ASA....we are planning a reunion in FT Worth next MAY, and if possible check out the jeep.

Attachments

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks