• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Batteries Blew Up & Caused A Fire

juanprado

Steel Soldiers Supporter
If you can negotiate to keep the truck, the process is not difficult in La. I bought back my "wrecked" tahoe for a sum subtracted from the settlement. The title and registration is cancelled and marked salvage. You make repairs to make it road worthy, bring to LSP for inspection. Basically checking vin, they really did not care about repairs but I had all receipts and pictures just incase. You get a form and bring to DMV and they will re title and register but of course you have to pay for everything again from the start. Jindal made it so more expensivie but that is another whole dimension and political. It will always reference the salvage from that point forward for a future buyer to be aware.

Hummer Guy

If you can negotiate to keep the truck, the process is not difficult in La. I bought back my "wrecked" tahoe for a sum subtracted from the settlement. The title and registration is cancelled and marked salvage. You make repairs to make it road worthy, bring to LSP for inspection. Basically checking vin, they really did not care about repairs but I had all receipts and pictures just incase. You get a form and bring to DMV and they will re title and register but of course you have to pay for everything again from the start. Jindal made it so more expensivie but that is another whole dimension and political. It will always reference the salvage from that point forward for a future buyer to be aware.
Yea this is what I'm thinking about, I really don't see where in any shape or form the truck is a total loss, as for mechanical, I'll be surprised if the truck doesn't start like normal once I change the batteries. It seems like the only damage it really received is cosmetic, the cracked window, burnt tarp cover, tire, and paint on the fuel tank side

Valley Rock

Big wheeler cat peeler
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I can't even fathom in getting an insurance company involved in something like this when parts for these trucks are cheap and plentiful and they are easy to work on .

For many years I have said that trickle chargers kill batteries I've seen it and they just do it even when they don't blow up they just charge them to death until they don't work anymore .

A battery disconnect is your friend, if the batteries are low when you you go to use the truck then use a jumper box and get it fired up .

Just my .02, hope the best for you .

glcaines

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Having to get a salvage or rebuilt title is ridiculous. Several years ago I had a deuce that caught on fire due to a rats nest in the engine compartment. The fire did a significant amount of damage, just under $10K. State Farm performed an evaluation and told me the truck was totaled. I worked with State Farm and got them to agree to reimburse me for parts and labor to have it repaired as long as the total didn't exceed a certain amount. No change to my title. In your case I don't see how the damage could be anywhere close to $10K since it appears that the damage is mostly cosmetic. Replacing the batteries and cables would likely let the truck start right up. I would recommend talking to an attorney. You can not only go after the manufacturer of the battery maintainer, but also the store that sold it to you. You may be able to avoid a claim with your insurance company completely. I suspect the owner of the storage building will come after you directly, especially if your insurance is denying any liability for damage to the building. Again, I recommend talking to an attorney. Paying a good attorney for one hour of advice is likely a good investment.

Hummer Guy

I can't even fathom in getting an insurance company involved in something like this when parts for these trucks are cheap and plentiful and they are easy to work on .

For many years I have said that trickle chargers kill batteries I've seen it and they just do it even when they don't blow up they just charge them to death until they don't work anymore .

A battery disconnect is your friend, if the batteries are low when you you go to use the truck then use a jumper box and get it fired up .

Just my .02, hope the best for you .
Yea I was mainly getting the insurance company involved to pay for the building damages and hopefully get enough to cover the cost for a tire and bed tarp. I'm going to think it over a bit. On the flip side, I have no plans on ever selling the truck and the insurance claim on the damage would be almost enough for me to get a 2nd truck, then again, I'm worried about getting the truck re insured with a rebuilt title.

Having to get a salvage or rebuilt title is ridiculous. Several years ago I had a deuce that caught on fire due to a rats nest in the engine compartment. The fire did a significant amount of damage, just under $10K. State Farm performed an evaluation and told me the truck was totaled. I worked with State Farm and got them to agree to reimburse me for parts and labor to have it repaired as long as the total didn't exceed a certain amount. No change to my title. In your case I don't see how the damage could be anywhere close to $10K since it appears that the damage is mostly cosmetic. Replacing the batteries and cables would likely let the truck start right up. I would recommend talking to an attorney. You can not only go after the manufacturer of the battery maintainer, but also the store that sold it to you. You may be able to avoid a claim with your insurance company completely. I suspect the owner of the storage building will come after you directly, especially if your insurance is denying any liability for damage to the building. Again, I recommend talking to an attorney. Paying a good attorney for one hour of advice is likely a good investment.
Yea that's my main concern now, I have to see what's the plans with the owner of the storage building next, he seemed pretty understanding on what happened, so we'll see how that goes

patracy

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
I'm not seeing $10K worth of damage. The cargo cover is probably the most expensive thing to replace. And you can live without it for now. Looks like you need batteries, new battery cables, battery tray, and paint. At least from what I can see, to get it going again. I'd just fix it on my own and take the approach of going after the charger company for your damages as well.