• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Batteries Blew Up & Caused A Fire

juanprado

Steel Soldiers Supporter
If you can negotiate to keep the truck, the process is not difficult in La. I bought back my "wrecked" tahoe for a sum subtracted from the settlement. The title and registration is cancelled and marked salvage. You make repairs to make it road worthy, bring to LSP for inspection. Basically checking vin, they really did not care about repairs but I had all receipts and pictures just incase. You get a form and bring to DMV and they will re title and register but of course you have to pay for everything again from the start. Jindal made it so more expensivie but that is another whole dimension and political. It will always reference the salvage from that point forward for a future buyer to be aware.

Hummer Guy

If you can negotiate to keep the truck, the process is not difficult in La. I bought back my "wrecked" tahoe for a sum subtracted from the settlement. The title and registration is cancelled and marked salvage. You make repairs to make it road worthy, bring to LSP for inspection. Basically checking vin, they really did not care about repairs but I had all receipts and pictures just incase. You get a form and bring to DMV and they will re title and register but of course you have to pay for everything again from the start. Jindal made it so more expensivie but that is another whole dimension and political. It will always reference the salvage from that point forward for a future buyer to be aware.
Yea this is what I'm thinking about, I really don't see where in any shape or form the truck is a total loss, as for mechanical, I'll be surprised if the truck doesn't start like normal once I change the batteries. It seems like the only damage it really received is cosmetic, the cracked window, burnt tarp cover, tire, and paint on the fuel tank side

Valley Rock

Big wheeler cat peeler
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I can't even fathom in getting an insurance company involved in something like this when parts for these trucks are cheap and plentiful and they are easy to work on .

For many years I have said that trickle chargers kill batteries I've seen it and they just do it even when they don't blow up they just charge them to death until they don't work anymore .

A battery disconnect is your friend, if the batteries are low when you you go to use the truck then use a jumper box and get it fired up .

Just my .02, hope the best for you .

glcaines

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Having to get a salvage or rebuilt title is ridiculous. Several years ago I had a deuce that caught on fire due to a rats nest in the engine compartment. The fire did a significant amount of damage, just under $10K. State Farm performed an evaluation and told me the truck was totaled. I worked with State Farm and got them to agree to reimburse me for parts and labor to have it repaired as long as the total didn't exceed a certain amount. No change to my title. In your case I don't see how the damage could be anywhere close to $10K since it appears that the damage is mostly cosmetic. Replacing the batteries and cables would likely let the truck start right up. I would recommend talking to an attorney. You can not only go after the manufacturer of the battery maintainer, but also the store that sold it to you. You may be able to avoid a claim with your insurance company completely. I suspect the owner of the storage building will come after you directly, especially if your insurance is denying any liability for damage to the building. Again, I recommend talking to an attorney. Paying a good attorney for one hour of advice is likely a good investment.

Hummer Guy

I can't even fathom in getting an insurance company involved in something like this when parts for these trucks are cheap and plentiful and they are easy to work on .

For many years I have said that trickle chargers kill batteries I've seen it and they just do it even when they don't blow up they just charge them to death until they don't work anymore .

A battery disconnect is your friend, if the batteries are low when you you go to use the truck then use a jumper box and get it fired up .

Just my .02, hope the best for you .
Yea I was mainly getting the insurance company involved to pay for the building damages and hopefully get enough to cover the cost for a tire and bed tarp. I'm going to think it over a bit. On the flip side, I have no plans on ever selling the truck and the insurance claim on the damage would be almost enough for me to get a 2nd truck, then again, I'm worried about getting the truck re insured with a rebuilt title.

Having to get a salvage or rebuilt title is ridiculous. Several years ago I had a deuce that caught on fire due to a rats nest in the engine compartment. The fire did a significant amount of damage, just under $10K. State Farm performed an evaluation and told me the truck was totaled. I worked with State Farm and got them to agree to reimburse me for parts and labor to have it repaired as long as the total didn't exceed a certain amount. No change to my title. In your case I don't see how the damage could be anywhere close to $10K since it appears that the damage is mostly cosmetic. Replacing the batteries and cables would likely let the truck start right up. I would recommend talking to an attorney. You can not only go after the manufacturer of the battery maintainer, but also the store that sold it to you. You may be able to avoid a claim with your insurance company completely. I suspect the owner of the storage building will come after you directly, especially if your insurance is denying any liability for damage to the building. Again, I recommend talking to an attorney. Paying a good attorney for one hour of advice is likely a good investment.
Yea that's my main concern now, I have to see what's the plans with the owner of the storage building next, he seemed pretty understanding on what happened, so we'll see how that goes

patracy

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
I'm not seeing $10K worth of damage. The cargo cover is probably the most expensive thing to replace. And you can live without it for now. Looks like you need batteries, new battery cables, battery tray, and paint. At least from what I can see, to get it going again. I'd just fix it on my own and take the approach of going after the charger company for your damages as well.

Hummer Guy

Update from pass couple of days.

The claim adjuster said he would contact the department to have the labor cost decreased, this would cause the title to stay clean since it would be under the 75% total loss law in Louisiana. For the storage building, the owner doesn't have insurance for fire damage, they told him that he'll have to try and sue the battery maintainer company, he said he's going to ask about it but he's worried that trying to sue them would be a waste of money since they're a cooperation and has lots of money. I told him Im going to help him with getting the building fixed up, the damages don't seem that bad but the electrical maybe a problem, the rest just seem like cleaning the smoke damage. I may still try to go after the battery maintainer company but just like the storage owner said, I'm worried about just losing money and time on trying to get an attorney to go after this China company

HDN

I think you did a good job with the insurance company. You'll get some parts money and keep the title clean - nice!

I don't know how small claims court works outside of NY, but at least here it's $20 for a form and generally can't be more than a claim of $5000-$10000 depending on the filing jurisdiction. Suits can't be filed by an individual more than six times a year. A lawyer isn't required and the suit is decided by a judge. If the defendant is a no-show, you win by default, but then you often have to get the money collected, usually a fee to the Sheriff's office I think.

But that's how it works in NY. Maybe LA is similar? Not sure 🤷‍♂️

msgjd

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Oh the power of hydrogen !! Although an uncle and i invested in hydrogen fuel automotive technology some years ago, can you imagine the fun, excitement, and apprehension to be had at the pump? :D .. I've had batts blow , not fun !! Your worst task is gonna be washing and neutralizing the acid that got blown everywhere .. Your truck will survive and I wouldn't doubt if its electrical system checks out as being unscathed .. (y)

I hope the mfr covers the damage, but the fine print might say they will cover the replacement of the batteries but not the consequential damages .. i hope the 2nd part of that clause is not the case for you

Hummer Guy

I got the tire changed today, cleaned off the battery cables, and the truck started up with no problem. Just going to be a lot of cleaning to do

Attachments

msgjd

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Either that or some liquid type of degreaser, I'm finally starting to get tired of cleaning the powder :ROFLMAO:
i hear that !! .. i don't know if there's any easy-to-use liquid that neutralize acids , something that can permanently stay on surfaces .. Cleaning up an acid-laced truck is bad enough, but you have those walls, floor, and ceiling too, amongst whatever else in there at the time o_O .. uggg ! We feel your pain

Hummer Guy

That truck doesn't look too bad considering what happened! I think that insurance adjuster was a nut!

That's too bad about the cargo cover. I hope whatever you get from the insurance payout helps cover the cost of a replacement
🤞
Yep, I should be good with the insurance since there's a cover on ebay that's about $600 including shipping.

i hear that !! .. i don't know if there's any easy-to-use liquid that neutralize acids , something that can permanently stay on surfaces .. Cleaning up an acid-laced truck is bad enough, but you have those walls, floor, and ceiling too, amongst whatever else in there at the time o_O .. uggg ! We feel your pain
Yep, got a BRDM 2 in the back covered in it as well, its unbelievable on how much that stuff spread around the whole building, the ceiling is going to be a real pain. I thought about trying to clean it with a pressure washer but I'm pretty sure it'll end up tearing through the insulation

msgjd

Steel Soldiers Supporter
its unbelievable on how much that stuff spread around the whole building, the ceiling is going to be a real pain. I thought about trying to clean it with a pressure washer but I'm pretty sure it'll end up tearing through the insulation
Your situation would make a good case argument against insurance companies that require "classic" trucks and cars to be garaged .. I had a good fight going with a prospective agent about my trucks being a helluva lot safer to themselves and everything around them if they were stored out in the field or scattered about the gravel pit and not garaged, especially in case of fire or battery explosion..

She tried to end it by saying there was no theft protection that way.. I told her I had a model 30-06 security system amongst other handy things .. Click, she hung up :LOL:

gringeltaube

Staff Member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
....... I don't know if there's any easy-to-use liquid that neutralize acids , something that can permanently stay on surfaces ..
Ammonia solution will do.... Any household cleaner (with 5-10% NH₃ by weight), or buy 30% commercial and eventually dilute.
Where it matters, any residue (stains of ammonium sulfate) can easily be removed with a damp towel or by rinsing off with water.

mgFray

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I've used baking soda and water mixture before to neutralize and clean up battery acids before under the hood of a car.. I think the key (for the truck) is get the acid off everything you can, and it should be fine.. LOTS of water, lots and lots and lots of water..

As far as the building goes, might make sense to do a soda blast and water rinse, but I've not idea what that would do or if it would help.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks