• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Batteries not holding a charge

kenz5380

That last post sounds kinda funny cause I was originally thinking of starting a new thread, but then everyone would lose out on the background here. Also, I don't know how to test the starter. It is a brand new unit that came with the truck (uninstalled) If anyone has some input on how to test it I'd appreciate that. I guess I would just put the amp meter on the starter where the main power cable connects and have someone turn it over. Does that sound right?

Warthog

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Did you ever remove the feed wire from the single wire 24v alternator and test to see if the batteries drained overnight?

One of the reasons no one is responding is because of the way the alternayor is wired. Not many peopel do it that way and don't know how to answer the question.

With only one 24v alternator and drawing 12v from the front battery, you have created an inbalanced load. The alternator doesn't know how to recharge the batteries. You may want to look into an battery equalizer.

Each battery have 6 cells that provide 2 volts each. You are drawing voltage from only 6 cells of the 12 total. The alterntor can cook the 6 cells from the rear battery and undercharge the 6 cells from the front battery.

You need the proper equipment to truely test the starter. An alternator/starter rebuild shop can do it.

Last edited:

Ferroequinologist

Resident railroad expert
Steel Soldiers Supporter
If one battery is undercharged it won't start the truck. This happened to my M818 one day. Only had two batteries in it instead of 4. The intake heater is 12v, so it is hooked to only one battery. I drove it all day and someone had turned the heater on- I didn't notice. Went to restart the truck later, and nothing. Got out the meter, and I had 6.5 volts on the one battery and 18.3 on the other.

At this stage of the game, with all the other wiring issues, I would recommend going to just a 12v system

kenz5380

So it's been a while, but I think I finally got this thing licked. With the help of all of you guys I came to the conclusion that I had a battery imbalance caused by my use of a single 24v alternator in place of the two alternator setup while still using a sizable 12v load with all of my trucks accessories. It took a while to track down a battery equalizer within my budget of $0, but eventually my buddy, a heavy equipment mechanic, found one for nothing off a piece of equipment they were parting out. I wired it up per the manufacturers specifications and bam! the truck works! I appreciate all of your help, I would still be scratching my head without it.

Attachments