• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Batteries - Suggestions

erasedhammer

I know that there are plenty of other posts on the several different types of batteries and their respective advantages, but I wanted to ask the community what they suggest is the best.

Currently I have some small car batteries sitting in my m999 right now, but only because the original 6tlmf batteries were dead when I got them. I am looking to get some batteries that are either 6TL, 6TMF, or 6T AGM. I have a lot of electronics that I would be running and I have the 200 alt. I also do a lot of off roading, so the vibration resistance of an AGM battery is appealing but I hear it may or may not produce enough to run the starter?

Whats the best overall? Links would be nice as I see plenty of websites selling them but I don't know if they are the correct dimensions or output. Currently I'm looking at the Odyssey 2250 AGM.

Last edited:

avlon01

I also went with the 6TL battery. No mods, it works, and it's designed to be submerged. I enjoy off-roading my my Humvee, so that was important to me.

fllaw1

I know that there are plenty of other posts on the several different types of batteries and their respective advantages, but I wanted to ask the community what they suggest is the best.

Currently I have some small car batteries sitting in my m999 right now, but only because the original 6tlmf batteries were dead when I got them. I am looking to get some batteries that are either 6TL, 6TMF, or 6T AGM. I have a lot of electronics that I would be running and I have the 200 alt. I also do a lot of off roading, so the vibration resistance of an AGM battery is appealing but I hear it may or may not produce enough to run the starter?

Whats the best overall? Links would be nice as I see plenty of websites selling them but I don't know if they are the correct dimensions or output. Currently I'm looking at the Odyssey 2250 AGM.
I have the same NAPA setup as the others to keep with the stock trays. However with what you described and your activities you might want to go with the OPTIMAS. Some others on here have them maybe they will chime in.

155mm

Chief and Indian
Steel Soldiers Supporter
My vote is for Optima yellow tops, have had 4 in a big truck since 09, 1 on a 50kw onan genny for about 4 years, 1ea in 2 different civ vehicles. I wont buy any other kind.

erasedhammer

I have the same NAPA setup as the others to keep with the stock trays. However with what you described and your activities you might want to go with the OPTIMAS. Some others on here have them maybe they will chime in.
I just went to their website, and it seems like they are pretty good batteries. The yellow top ones seem to be best fitted for a humvee and the environment it's going to be in.

155mm

Chief and Indian
Steel Soldiers Supporter
ok, so if 20 batteries cost $7grand, that makes each $350 each. The was a screenshot from their website.

Screenshot_5.png

gimpyrobb

dumpsterlandingfromorbit!
I have not, I got a few of them surplus and they have outlasted everything else. If I come across any more I will make sure they come home with me too!

Carrera911

One of my trucks came with the red top Optimas. It started right up at the lot when I picked it up. Another has the OE hawker batteries. They are from 2008 and were dead as can be but still hold a charge for weeks. Pretty respectable for a battery that old, and that sat dead for who knows how long. Another had some group 78 batteries. They were from 2012 and were totally shot. I'm selling that truck so I wasn't too concerned with what went in it so long as it would work. I went with two group 78s from Batteries Plus for 115 each IIRC. Gold with a 3 year warranty. IIRC they had at least as much CCA as the Optimas and a little more reserve.
My main truck I'm keeping is the one with the Optimas. I've heard mixed reviews on them once they were bought and manufacturing moved to Mexico. (Hopefully that'll change soon :lol:). They are 3 years old and start the truck fine and have enough capacity to run my radio for a while.

Also, I believe Amazon has the Optimas for 150. Way cheaper than any of the local stores.

emr

ALL Battery's need to be maintained, NOT ALL charger's will fully charge the big battery's. I have seen guys use the little desulphators . And then a few years later say the military battery's suck. Its all human error. Get a larger charger that will properly smart charge them, I have had 10 years from 6 tls, Because I took the effort to pull clean fully charge and rotate in the truck seasonally. Battery's do not stay charged when not used, I know most , "hoping " .. Know this, but when such a purchase is made it is important to keep that investment in shape. Personally since you are asking the list, think it is always better to use the designed battery that has been in service with these vehicle's , proven methods always make sense to me, but to each his own for sure. A battery that is not fully charged can last for years if the truck is a good runner , but will fail earlier than needed in its life, Short rides never fully charge a battery. Charge em individually in the truck a charger on each one ,,, or simply put the charger on the next one after it is finished with the first,If You only have one charger ... Never a need to disconnect anything, But it is always a good idea to rotate them at least once a year, The battery in the end of the charge cycle will never be fully charged and will die sooner then the first if this does not happen, FYI. Im a hawker fan also :) Good luck nice truck !!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Last edited:
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks