• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Batteries, will they last?

Ando427

When I bought my m1009 a little over a month ago, it came complete with two fresh batteries dated 08/16. Living in San Diego they have never stumbled in providing adequate cranking power and so I've never ventured to look at the cca rating. However, within the next few days I will be driving up to Boise for about a week, where it is obviously much colder. Given this, I decided to peer at the cca rating which had previously been covered up by the top clamp holding the battery in place, and I found a whopping rating of 585 (I think, it was definitely under 600 anyways). Given this rating and the age of the batteries, what say you, best and brightest? Will these batteries survive the short trip, or will they leave me stranded?

cucvrus

That would be a guess at best. But CCA is the rating at zero degrees and that goes down with age of the batteries. I myself would NOT be afraid to travel with them providing this is a CUCV that starts first time every time. Not a CUCV that has cold start/ warm start issues. I have 3 that cold start on the first or second revolution. And a few the batteries are over 5 years old. That is a tough call. But you are the one that must make that final decision. If it were me I would take the new truck. But I did not have that option I would just take your good running CUCV. If everything is working as designed I see no problems. This is a trick question either way. Happy Holidays.

Mainsail

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Take them out of the truck and put them in the freezer overnight. In the morning quickly install them in the truck and see if it cranks. That won't factor in the cold engine oil but it might give you a guess.

Drock

I drive my M1028 on 500 mile trips routinely. We live in a world with Walmart's and auto parts stores at every exit. I use my computerized cellular telephone as my speedometer and my navigation. If ever I've had a problem I just stop at the nearest store and fix it in the parking lot. Bring a good tool kit and you'll be fine. Cheers:beer:

Ando427

Thanks for the input on a difficult theoretical question! She does crank over quite nicely in San Diego, ****, most days here I don't even have to use my momentary glow plug switch to get her started. I did a full inspection on her and my plan now is to just drive and if I get stuck I'm sure Drock is right, I can find someplace that will stock batteries and get me moving again. Thanks!

PJL

Take them out of the truck and put them in the freezer overnight. In the morning quickly install them in the truck and see if it cranks. That won't factor in the cold engine oil but it might give you a guess.
Good idea in theory, bad idea in practice. If my wife found 2 frozen batteries in the freezer... Well being dead would be the best part of my morning.

Ando427

Well I know this is a very old thread, but I stumbled across some pictures from the trip yesterday and thought I'd report back. The batteries had no problem starting the truck, despite the very cold temperatures and snowfall on the trip. The rear U-joint on the other hand, didn't fare as well... Snow.jpgU Joint 1.jpgU Joint 2.jpg

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks