• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Batteries.... ?

spankybear

Is anyone running anything OTHER than 6TLs? My truck should be here shortly and I will need batteries. I am looking at possibly group 24s or group 34s. I know there are group 31s but I don't want to run those.

And before saying "just get 6TLs" there was a post back in the LMTV forum that said something like " We should export 6TLs to all unfriendly nations. ".

I am am cheap and don't want to spend the $$$$ for 6TLs and they are simply not needed. I have been running group 24s in my LMTV for years and haven't had one issue. I bought blems that where 29.00 each. Of course that was before the Biden inflation and I am sure they are well north of that price today.

So back to my question what other sizes are you having luck size wise.

Words of wisdom on 6TLs

Last edited by a moderator:

spankybear

Group 31 blems can be harder to find. and are really not needed. Group 24s will start a cold LMTV... Group 24s will start a HMMWV with no issues... I just don't know how will they will fit... and I want to get the batteries here before so I can see if the truck will start when it gets here. Should be here by Monday.

Mogman

Staff member
Steel Soldiers Supporter
IMHO cheap batteries can lead to very expensive problems like fried EESS boxes, ($600 plus)
Also if you are thinking of taking the "cheap" road with a HMMWV you have a long row to hoe again just my opinion.
Just make sure you tie what ever you use down, just about any battery can be fit in there.

spankybear

Not too sure how "cheap" batteries will fry anything. But then again what do I know. I have also read that LMTVs have all sort of electrical issues. I have had zero electrical issues and I have 29.00 each blem group 24s.

Cheap is my middle name... Got my LMTV for winning bid of 3800, the HMMWV for 3700 and my unissues with top M1101 for 650. I am more than willing to wait for cheap priced things... and I can find them.

Coug

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Flat top group 24 batteries work with the hold down, no spacers required.

These are 24AGMs from NorthStar, sold through BatteriesPlus.
A bit more expensive than wally world specials, but 48 month full replacement warranty, and being AGM they're just much better to begin with.

a123f4f5dd8e3adf5c286ad751292544eb0d428b-1.jpg

mccullek

I've got two of the higher end group 24 Walmart batteries in mine and never have any issues. I think I paid about $89 each for them. I started off with 27DCs, but they would not fit properly so I took them back and got the group 24.

juanprado

Steel Soldiers Supporter
So I had access to a regular supply of used 6tl's for a long time :) and when those ran out I started using new O'reilly 6tl's but found they do not hold up and are not excide.... Definitely a difference in OE excide wet cell 6tl's and others copies...

Last month I switched in my Hmmwv's to group 24. Does not matter if 24 or 24f as the batteries can be flipped. Fit the bottom tray indentation perfectly and the OE top hold down grabs them with stock cables. Fires up perfectly my 6.2L and since they are regular batteries have longer warranty. O"reilly 6tl I think are 90 days. And lots more $ in my pocket...

My son is an O"reilly store mgr and the optimas are a crap shoot, YMMV but I would not invest in them or trust them. The military plastic spacers are also stupid expensive for a chunk of plastic..

HMMWV 24 bats.jpg

Attachments

Last edited:

spankybear

So I had access to a regular supply of used 6tl's for a long time :) and when those ran out I started using new O'reilly 6tl's but found they do not hold up and are not excide.... Definitely a difference in OE excide wet cell 6tl's and others copies...

Last month I switched in my Hmmwv's to group 24. Does not matter if 24 or 24f as the batteries can be flipped. Fit the bottom tray indentation perfectly and the OE top hold down grabs them with stock cables. Fires up perrfectlyView attachment 892256 my 6.2L and since they are regular batteries have longer warranty. O"reilly 6tl I think are 90 days. And lots more $ in my pocket...

My son is an O"reilly store mgr and the optimas are a crap shoot, YMMV but I would not invest them or trust them.
I have not had good luck with Optimas at all. The best luck I have had has been blems from Interstate. I have been running them for over 15 years with zero issues. I just changed out a interstate blem in my PK that was 11 years old. No issues starting just changed it because of the age. Not bad for a 29.00 battery.

Reactions: 98G

juanprado

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I have not had good luck with Optimas at all. The best luck I have had has been blems from Interstate. I have been running them for over 15 years with zero issues. I just changed out a interstate blem in my PK that was 11 years old. No issues starting just changed it because of the age. Not bad for a 29.00 battery.
I get his family discount as he lives with me and just would not do it with the optimas and could not find inexpensive adapters. Now I can go anywhere with an O'reilly and not be broken down. Most stores do not stock 6tl's. 24 or 24f's are stocked anywhere that handles batteries as it is a top seller.

Have used group 31 blem Interstate in other applications and satisfied for the price but not the longevity you have gotten.

I don't think 31's will fit the OE set up in a hmmwv and they are taller so i would be leary.

Coug

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I have no more faith in optimas these days than I do in the el cheapo wally world specials.
A friend installed one into her Toyota.
At 7 months it was no longer able to start her truck.

Mullaney

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
I have no more faith in optimas these days than I do in the el cheapo wally world specials.
A friend installed one into her Toyota.
At 7 months it was no longer able to start her truck.
Fancy New Imported Crap now days.
Like a lot of other things, made it cheaper "not here" and quality has gone out the window...

MarkM

CODE BROWN...It's all going to sh~t !
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I have been running Optimas and routinely get 10 yrs out of them. I have a crazy audio system in one of my cars and at shows I would pull the red top in the trunk down to under 8 volts and it always came back. Try that with a flooded battery.

Mark

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks