• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Batteries

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Please add your State to your location information. This is a site requirement.

doghead

Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Use whatever state you file your taxes in.

swbradley1

Modertator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Lots of guys run only two. If I had kept mine that's all it would have and knowing my Brother he will only put two in it as well.

He only has one battery for his DT466s (12v).

doghead

Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Steve, you had a 900series truck?

sigo

Lieutenant Colonel
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Massive engine with some big parts to turn and keep turning when it's cold. It sometimes takes more than a few turns to fire in extreme conditions. 809 series 5 tons also have 4 batteries.

m16ty

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Just for clarification, it's actually the M939 series. ;)

I always just run two in 5-tons if I have to replace the batteries. It doesn't get super cold here though and I usually don't run them when it's really cold out. 4 is better but that's a bunch of extra money to shell out when 2 will do.

Beerslayer

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Why do 900 series trucks have 4 batteries ranter than the two that the Deuce?
Consider the design requirements. Those trucks need to be able to fire right up after being stored for how long and being dumped off who knows where.

Suppose it is Really Cold and you are trying to start that 250 Cummins. Two batteries are fine if the weather is mild, but if it is down around zero or below, the extra batteries are essential.

So the requirement is that the truck be cranked and started wherever it is. Four batteries makes sense in that regard.

If it is a pampered pet in a mild climate, you could probably start it off of a car battery.

If you want it to ALWAYS go no matter the temperature, four batteries are well worth the $$.

zebedee

conceptualizer at large
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Too moore batteries

I too run only 2 batteries - though I listened to those that used the trucks in anger and who were authorised to do inservice mods... So when I went to NAPA, all I was armed with was the dimensions of the two battery boxes. I took the heavy equip/truck book from the behind the counter n'er-do-well (the guy that gets the parts wrong for my work 1/2 ton pickup - leaving me stuck at the mechanics 'till the right parts can be got!) and just say "I'll have two of these please". I now have two, $220 ea,*** CAT batteries that don't take no chit from any one - regardless how stinking cold it is.

I also bought the $214 ea LED headlights (mentioned else where) as I too am pushing 50, am financially stable, and am going to enjoy my toys ****-it!

:p

WOW - there is an auto edit on d@mn-it!!! Who'd of known. I guess you can't work out ***either?

Last edited:

jrod66

Sounds like 2 batteries will work as long as they are good big truck batteries, I would rather have the extra power of the 4 but if 2 industrial batteries will work then I might go that route, anyone use AGM? I have one in my crawler and I love it (o'reilly battery)

doghead

Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I have them in my M819. $175 ea.

I've posted how they work, in countless battery threads.

Please use the search function!

two.fiveM35

Two of the batteries are hooked up in parallel, doubleing thier amps, basiclly making one (big) 12v battery with alot of amps. Then that (big) battery is connected in series (like flashlight batteries) to another (big) battery, doubleing they voltage to 24 volts. The amps are what is need to turn over that big engine when it's cold out.