• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Battery, alternator or glow plug issue...

Wolfie

I've had my 1986 m1009 for a few weeks and it used to start right up in no time.Lately the "wait" light has been on for alot longer before starting, and both battery lights stay on while I'm trying to start it, it takes awhile for the engine to catch and start up. I'm wondering if one or both batteries could be going, or if it might be an alternator issue. When the truck finally does start it idles really loud and rough for awhile and clicks like it's switching power sources. The batt gauge sits in the middle between "generator" and "battery". I need to fix the issue soon because the colder it gets, the harder it'll be to start. Do these trucks need to be plugged in in the winter, or does the 24v starting system do the trick when it's working properly?

Croatan_Kid

Speaking of glow plugs....I think I'm in need of a new temp sensor for the glow plug circuit and I'm seriously considering putting in a whole new set of glow plugs while I'm at it. Where would be a good and inexpensive place to get those items? I can't remember if the plugs are 12 or 24 volt, so I didn't know if I could run to a parts house and get them or what I needed to do, same with the temp sensor. I think the rubber around the top of the sensor is rotted away and the connections got corroded because I noticed today that my WAIT light quit coming on, but I'll know for sure in the morning after a cold start.

mangus580

The plugs you want are Wellman 070's. They can be found on ebay at the best price.

My temp sensor crapped out about a year ago.... I wired it 'bypassed' and it has been that way ever since. Sad part is.... I have a replacement!!

Wolfie

Re: RE: Battery, alternator or glow plug issue...

CUCVFAN said:
Once it's running, does the battery guage get up to reading in the green, at the white line?
Not sure, I'll have to check that today...yesterday I noticed that both "generator" lights stay on while it's running...

Wolfie

RE: Re: RE: Battery, alternator or glow plug issue...

ok, it gets up into the green, then there's a "click" like it's switching between power and it dips into the yellow, a few seconds later it'll click again and go back into the green..this goes on for awhile and eventually stops after a minute or so. The "generator" lights on the dash finally go out during, or right after.

mangus580

The clicking & power drop you see... should be your glow plugs cycling.

Wolfie

That's a relief, I was wondering what that was, I had both batteries tested, and both are good, that leaves the glow plugs and the alternators. I found the plugs on ebay, I figure they probably need to be changed either way, I don't have any service records for this thing.
I tried putting in a cd player and must've messed the wiring to the battery up in the fuse box, the radio keeps shutting off and turning on again.

Wolfie

Turns out it was an alternator, now that that's replaced, neither battery will hold a charge, looks like those are next...I'm in New England so I'm wondering what batteries to use to avoid starting issues this winter.

CUCVFAN

Gunner's Mate First Class
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Group 31's are easier to get than 6TL's and they are plenty stout. They also fit right in the battery trays, although you have to move the hold-down studs to the inner holes if it currently has 6TL's...

Wolfie

It has regular red and black batteries in it now...I was looking at goldtops at autozone, 1000cca and an 8 year warranty.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks