• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Battery Apology

csheath

When I first got my unit I was trying to come up with an inexpensive source for batteries. I settled on the Value Power group 26 from Walmart and for the first 11 months they worked out fine. In December the first set failed a day from being out of warranty. Walmart replaced them and I ran the generator with the new set until the amp meter was no longer indicating a charge. Here is March and they were dead again. I charged them overnight and they read on the high side of fair with the hydrometer. Reading a 5 volt draw with a Fluke and no amps so it doesn't seem to have a problem there. While charging I did disconnect the solar panel and charge controller. I don't think it was a problem but it wasn't putting anything out.

At any rate I apologise for endorsing these cheap batteries. Looks like I may be replacing them soon.

dmetalmiki

They do say you only get what you pay for. Yet sometimes cheap sources of things work out fine.
I have had unbranded huge cheap battery's on my wrecker for 4 years. They Have never failed to start it no matter the length of standing. Last year more of the same went on 3 more trucks. Up to now,, alls good.

CapePrep

I will probably get lambasted for this, but I DESPISE walmart. I never go there and refuse to. What they have done to our small town retailers, etc is reprehensible. They are an awful company to their employees and I just deplore everything about them. They basically carry junk. Go to a name brand battery and you won't be disappointed.

jamawieb

This is why all my units get optima red tops. I know a lot of people talk bad about the optima but I've got several units that I sold 8+years ago using the same batteries. I've also been using a set of optimas for 2 years, for all my testing. They have been completely drained and brought back several times without a problem.

rustystud

This is why all my units get optima red tops. I know a lot of people talk bad about the optima but I've got several units that I sold 8+years ago using the same batteries. I've also been using a set of optimas for 2 years, for all my testing. They have been completely drained and brought back several times without a problem.

I love the Optima batteries ! I also really love the "Odyssey" batteries but cannot justify the cost.

Guyfang

Staff member
Any time I have ever made a comment on batteries here in SS, it was always that Optima is my choice for batteries first. They simpley stand the test. Cost more, yes. But in the long run, you save money because they last forever. Yes, there are cheaper batteries. And some of them are also good. And last a long time. The hard part is finding which ones are good. With Optima I know what I have.

DieselAddict

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I use the cheap batteries for testing but not for online operation. A couple of times I've had people insist I leave the test batteries in there as a condition for purchase. I'm always resistant to that. When they insist I make sure they understand those batteries have limitations and will disappoint them when they least expect it.

They work fine for what I do with them. I have 200w of solar panels on my shed that I use to keep all my 12v batteries topped up. Even with that I see around a 25% failure rate year on year.

Bmxenbrett

I have had the $35-40 lawnmower batterys in my generator for a bit over a year. They still started my set in -6* a few months ago. I use no solar charger.
Are you sure the fluid didnt boil out of them being on a charger?

The cheap walmart battery in my lawnmower is from 2012 and never been out of the mower since i bought it..

Mabe you need to treat your batterys more like crap, like i do..lol

Triple Jim

I charged them overnight and they read on the high side of fair with the hydrometer. Reading a 5 volt draw with a Fluke and no amps so it doesn't seem to have a problem there.
What do you mean when you say "Reading a 5 volt draw with a Fluke and no amps"? What were you measuring that read 5 volts on the meter?

At any rate I apologise for endorsing these cheap batteries. Looks like I may be replacing them soon.
I bought two Walmart group 24 batteries for my 003a six years ago, and they still crank the engine like they're new. In my experience, all brands of batteries can have a bad one once in a while, so don't feel bad.

Walmart isn't the problem for small retailers, it's shoppers who stop going to the small retailers and go to Walmart instead.

Guyfang

Staff member
What do you mean when you say "Reading a 5 volt draw with a Fluke and no amps"? What were you measuring that read 5 volts on the meter?

I bought two Walmart group 24 batteries for my 003a six years ago, and they still crank the engine like they're new. In my experience, all brands of batteries can have a bad one once in a while, so don't feel bad.

Walmart isn't the problem for small retailers, it's shoppers who stop going to the small retailers and go to Walmart instead.

swbradley1

Modertator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I just changed out the junker battery (original) in the Winged Dodge 1500 of mine. I kinda doubt I can get a warranty exchange, the battery is 14 years old and then some.

I wish they made batteries that lasted. ;-)

Triple Jim

Guy, I guess you mean I've admitted to being a problem for small retailers. Yes, clearly I admit that. In my small town, a group 24 battery from Walmart or Auto Zone, or Advance Auto (national retail chain stores) is around $100. The same battery from a local car parts retailer would be $150, and not a better one, just a similar one. So in this case, I voted for Walmart. Living where I do, where it's an hour round trip just to go to town, most of my buying is over the Internet. The communication that the Internet brought is in the process of changing the entire structure of business.

Mom and Pop are becoming owners of small, family-owned business that sell via the Internet, rather than renting expensive "brick and mortar" stores. I get circuit boards made by a small company in the US that was started by a few guys who pooled their money to make some circuit boards for themselves. Now they have a small business that supports their families and provides excellent service for other small businesses like mine.

If I had to guess, I'd say that Walmart will be put out of business by Amazon before too many years go by.

MWMULES

Steel Soldiers Supporter
In Memorial
I used wally world batteries for years but it seems about 3 yrs ago they went down hill, I put them in my Chevy K3500 flight line van candy man.jpg and with the 6.5 it takes 2. They have both been replaced under warranty for the third time in 3.5 yrs. First 2 times only made it a year, this last time one went 15 months. To add insult to injury when I took it in this last time to get the one on the drivers side frame replaced I was told they couldn't pull it, "cause it wasn't under the hood and her techs were not mechanics"!!! The battery holder on the frame is the same as the one under the hood :evil:

csheath

I mean when I have the meter on the DC volt setting and connect one lead to the disconnected ground cable and the other lead to the battery post it reads 5 volts. When I do the same test with the meter on the amp scale I get a zero reading. Most vehicles will read a full 12 volt draw due to memory circuits but you have to have current drawing to kill a battery. I usually just grab a test light to check vehicles but I don't have a 24v test light.

I have used the standard Walmart batteries for most of my applications with good results. This was the first and last attempt to use the "Value Power" model. No value to be had.

I have used the cheap lawn tractor batteries in applications they are grossly under sized for and they not only work but usually last 5 years or better. The main reason I didn't go that route on the generator was I didn't want to change the cable ends. I have seen where someone just ran the clamp bolt through the tabs to adapt the lawn tractor battery on those so I am not ruling that out. The higher amp LT battery is about $30.

What I need to consider is when the power goes out I don't have any way to jump start 24 volts without removing batteries from 2 machines and connecting them in series. Not something I want to do in freezing weather or a rain storm.

Light in the Dark

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I've got a pair of Yellowtops in my 802 for this very reason. For machines that I have gone through, I outfit with Exide brand (TSC is the price winner here). I believe they are a good middle of the road solution (under $100/ea) between the extremes. Thats the best part about these forums... all information, even later on, is saved for future users to pour through and make their own determinations.

smokem joe

I've been buying Delco group 34 batteries for $60 each plus core. I talked to a local supplier and told him I needed about 20 of them in increments of 2. He gave me a really good deal valid every time I come in for 2 more.

DiverDarrell

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I spent a little more for known quality batteries for my gen. It’s the one thing when I need it to start, I really need it to start. Everything else goes the cheap route.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks