• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

battery boost resister question

wiccantoy

Ok been thinking a lot about the problems I have been having with my power issues and the guage never going in the full green like it shood. I have gone acroos a lot of the grounds. And was really wondering if the problem may be in the huge resistor bahind the shroud behind the engine and mounted to the fire wall. This is just a shot in the dark since I rembered having to replace the wire and inline fuse. But never untill now had I even thought that it may be going bad and caused me to have to get a new line. Am I even close with my line of thinking here?

patracy

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Resistor is only there to step 24v down to 12v for the glow plugs. Which honestly needs to be bypassed and the GP relay needs to be tapped to the 12V supply port on the firewall above it due to cascade failures of that resistor.

Next check every connection. Check voltage at each battery. If one is lower than the other, odds are that section has issues.

Warthog

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Sometimes the battery gauge doesn't work properly. The small resistor on the back of the gauge could be bad.

The one on the firwall is a totally different ietm. Used for glowplugs only.

wiccantoy

Ok all good things to look at. 1st when power gets low and wipers are on they will slow and stop. Only reason I'm looking toward the resistor, the wire to the glow plug terminal fried for no reason and kinda thinking it tripped and fried itself or something else strange. Just pulling my freaken hair out over this. Way too many new parts on this for me to have this many problems

cpf240

I would suggest testing the glow plugs, maybe one or more are shorted, which could lead the the burnt wire you mentioned. Though I think most of the time glow plugs fail in an open condition.

I would also suggest doing the 12v bypass for the glow plug power supply. Then you can disconnect and remove that resistor bank on the firewall.

patracy

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Have you put a volt meter on the two systems to check voltage yet? That will save a lot of hair pulling...

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Have you replaced your glow plug relay recently? If so, with what part number relay?

rickf

What you really need to do is not just a voltage test but a voltage drop test. That needs to be done on each battery and each alternator and all of the major grounds. That will tell you if and where you are loosing power.

rickf

I am about to hit the sack so I will give the short version and pm you my phone number and you can call me tomorrow if you have a question.
You would set you meter for 24 volts as usual, put one lead on the positive battery post and the other lead on the positive terminal. What you are looking for is any voltage reading at all. anything up to around .5 volt on high currant wires is acceptable but on low currant stuff like the meter you would want to see .1 or less. Basically you are going from the wire to the terminal of the same connection. It is the same connection as a resistance test but more accurate as far as real world problem finding. I say 24 volt but if you are checking the 12 volt circuits set it for 12 volts there. You pretty much need a digital volt meter for this test to be accurate.

Rick

wiccantoy

Ok just got back from nj at rick's house great guy helped me and my truck a lot. He is a very smart and helpful person. Has done more for me on here than any other person. Seemed to be ground issues. And may need a new guage to read correct. Going to look into aftermarket ones. Preferably digital. In the morning we will see if the issues I was having has been resolved. Once again a big thank you to rick...:beer:

rickf

If you want to go with digital then Google Glow-Shift. They are the ones I have in my Dodge. I don't have digital but I know they carry them. 24 volt I don't know. Glad I could be of assistance, let me know if it took care of those problems.

Rick

On edit, I just looked at Glow shift's site and I did not see anything for 24 volt. Someplace that caters to the trucking industry aftermarket would be the place to look.

Last edited: