• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Battery Cable size for Kill Switch

Commander5993

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I've been reading about adding a battery kill switch for some time now, as I need to add one to our deuce. I have already purchased two heavy duty 24v battery kill switches.

However, my questions/thought line on this is: The A2 deuce has 2/0 Battery Cable, Correct? I want to run new battery cable into the cab to mount a remote kill switch accessible from inside the cab.
So does the cable to the kill switch also need to be 2/0 (00) cable as well?
I thought it would have to be, but I've seen a couple people on here using 0-gauge or even 4-gauge cable to run to their kill switches.

Any input would be much appreciated!
Thanks!!

WillWagner

The Person You Were Warned About As A Child
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Stay w/00. The B+ cable is kinda long in mine. If it were me, I'd just cut the cable and crimp on two ends somewhere around the battery box.

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
KILL switch? What are you trying to Kill?

If you mean battery disconnect switch, then be sure to interrupt/switch off the negative side.

Commander5993

Steel Soldiers Supporter
:lol::funny:

Well, the truck did come with walmart never-start batteries.... if they die they still have warranty :whistle:

If you mean battery disconnect switch, then be sure to interrupt/switch off the negative side.
Yes, using the negative seems to be safest... Plus its the side you're supposed to disconnect first when removing a battery.

Thanks for the reminder!

Commander5993

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Stay w/00.
2/0 or larger is the only correct answer.
Yep, just wanted to make sure. Didn't want to throw away money on a larger cable if it wasn't actually needed.

Anyone know a good source for 2/0 Battery Cable? Even Saturn Surplus only seems to carry up to 0-gauge. The only place that I seem to be able to find it is on flea-bay. I know no place local (or with-in 1 hour of me) carries it, as I couldn't even find 0-Gauge battery cable for another project back sometime ago.

Thanks!

nk14zp

Yep, just wanted to make sure. Didn't want to throw away money on a larger cable if it wasn't actually needed.

Anyone know a good source for 2/0 Battery Cable? Even Saturn Surplus only seems to carry up to 0-gauge. The only place that I seem to be able to find it is on flea-bay. I know no place local (or with-in 1 hour of me) carries it, as I couldn't even find 0-Gauge battery cable for another project back sometime ago.

Thanks!
Try a welding shop.

M35A2-AZ

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I would use 2/0 or bigger and put it on the Neg. side.
I just installed a Battery discount switch on my m923 and will be doing my M35's also.
I used 2/0 copper welding cable. I had some damaged cable that I cut some good parts out of, works great.

tm america

i don't know what size the battery wire is on a deuce but i do know if you put a switch in the number 10 wire that runs from the starter soloniod to the master cut off switch it will kill everything that runs on 24 volts..If you do it near the starter soloniod it will kill the blower motor, starter,lights and everything...super easy to do and really effective to keeping people from taking your truck for an easy joy ride or leaving the lights on and killing your battery

Commander5993

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Try a welding shop.
I would use 2/0 or bigger and put it on the Neg. side.
I just installed a Battery discount switch on my m923 and will be doing my M35's also.
I used 2/0 copper welding cable. I had some damaged cable that I cut some good parts out of, works great.
Welding Cable! Hadn't thought of that! There is a welding shop about 45 min west of me, I'll have to check there next time I'm out that way.

Thanks for the idea guys!

Commander5993

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Try a welding shop.
i don't know what size the battery wire is on a deuce but i do know if you put a switch in the number 10 wire that runs from the starter soloniod to the master cut off switch it will kill everything that runs on 24 volts..If you do it near the starter soloniod it will kill the blower motor, starter,lights and everything...super easy to do and really effective to keeping people from taking your truck for an easy joy ride or leaving the lights on and killing your battery

Hummm... I haven't heard of this route before. Sounds doable, might have to look into this more.
Thanks TM!

Beerslayer

Steel Soldiers Supporter

OK, I'll bite. Why is it important to interrupt the negative side rather than the positive?

Oh, and I have a bunch of 2/0 cable that I will sell cut lengths cheap. I can also crimp on ends for you, I have the right crimper to do it.

Speaking of crimping, I really like the Youtube video that Sewerzuk did on soldering battery terminal ends, it is better than the way I used to do it. Seems like a crimp, then solder is the super best way to terminate a battery cable.

tm america

That's how i did my truck it works great and is very inexpensive since you don't need big wire or a high amp switch.. The wire is like 16 or 14 gauge .. I ran mine using bx cable for house wiring that way it has a metal cover that stops people from just cutting the wires and hooking them back up

islandguydon

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Why not run the switch in line with an existing battery line. If you have to splice use the same wire.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks