• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Battery charger for a 923

jwcoop

We have a 923 that we have converted to a heavy duty brush truck for our fire department. Has anyone had any experience installing a trickle charging system on these trucks to keep the batteries charged?
Thanks.

M35A2-AZ

Steel Soldiers Supporter
This is what I have started using.
[h=1]NOCO Genius G7200 12V/24V 7.2A UltraSafe Smart Battery Charger[/h]http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B004LWTHP2/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o05_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

74M35A2

Even NAPA sells a 5A 24V charger. If you want a much faster charger, I'd use a charger for a 24V forklift. They can be had for a very low cost, and most are automatic or on timers.

Shark Bait

image.jpgI use these from cabelas. They run leads to each individual battery. Maintains and conditions each one. Different models available for 1,2 or three batteries. I have two on my lmtv that has 4 batteries.one on my HET with 2 batteries. One one my MK48 that has 2 batteries and one on each of my Duramax Chevys. They are pricey but I've used for years on other vehicles with no issues.

plode

+1 for the Deltran 24v tender. I use them on both trucks and gennys. Mine came with both permanent and temp clamp cables. Seem to work great.
I literally just got done installing this in my truck about 20 minutes ago. I've been using a battery tender on my car and my motorcycle for years. I can't plug the truck in just yet though, it hasn't been above freezing for 4 days, I'm worried the batteries might be frozen.

EDIT: Just read up on it, they would have to be severely discharged to be frozen, but I'm still a little worried. I threw a space heater in the cab, I'll let it warm up for a few hours before I plug it in.

Shark Bait

View attachment 536123I use these from cabelas. They run leads to each individual battery. Maintains and conditions each one. Different models available for 1,2 or three batteries. I have two on my lmtv that has 4 batteries.one on my HET with 2 batteries. One one my MK48 that has 2 batteries and one on each of my Duramax Chevys. They are pricey but I've used for years on other vehicles with no issues.
Oh, yeh they are water proof too.

74M35A2

It is make or break now. If they are frozen , then they are shot, as the ice separates the plates and mangles the inside.

The slave port makes a fabulous battery charger connection point, just put a slave end on the battery charger. Then can connect without even opening the door. Yummy.

plode

It is make or break now. If they are frozen , then they are shot, as the ice separates the plates and mangles the inside.

The slave port makes a fabulous battery charger connection point, just put a slave end on the battery charger. Then can connect without even opening the door. Yummy.
The truck started just fine(no ether or coolant heater), so I doubt they are frozen..it's just be being worrisome because it's 19 degrees out and I hate the cold :lol:.

Scar59

Steel Soldiers Supporter
We have a 923 that we have converted to a heavy duty brush truck for our fire department. Has anyone had any experience installing a trickle charging system on these trucks to keep the batteries charged?
Thanks.
If it's parked outside, the solar charger works well. My 925 came with one installed during a 2008 rework. Still works today. No extension cords, charges when the sun is out or in light clouds.

plode

Ok...ran the heater for a couple of hours now, the cab is toasty(with battery hatch open).
Plugged the battery tender in, and we've got an intermittent yellow light. It's not "flashing", its more of a pulse. Here's a youtube video of what it is doing:
http://youtu.be/jkBoeBtsBGs

My other battery tenders stay steady yellow when charging(and I suspect this one should too...instructions were missing from the box). I checked all of the connections, everything is correct and making good contact. I connected it to the same terminals the trucks main power cables are connected to.

Scar59

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Which solar charger?
Don't have the manufacture name handy. Saw a the same kit for sale earlier this week a that popular auction site. It was under M939 parts. There is one installed on my M35 I recently got out of WRAFB, it still works also.

Swamp Donkey

The Engineer
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I am very satisfied with the #24041 BatteryMINDer, and use it on all my diesel equipment. It's a charger, desulphater, conditioner and maintainer.
I've been using this one too. It's weather resistant and comes with all the different cables and clips. I ran the permanent cable end through the bottom of the battery box and hang the charger from a J-bolt I have mounted under the cab on the passenger side.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks