• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Battery charging question?

M54a2weasel

My truck is dieing every two days! Did i hook the batteries up right? I have also included a picture of my alternator,, every one keeps saying there is a screw to turn the alternator down...where is it? I also have been having an issue with the animeter(the battery charging gauge on the dash) when ever i am driving it the needle is past the red on the right what do i do?

Attachments

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Your batteries are connected correctly.

The voltage regulator adjustment is in the hole that is to the left of that little cover that has the yellow Warning sticker. You use a small screwdriver to make the adjustment. I would adjust it to get 28V.

Have you used a digital multi meter to confirm your voltage? Do it with the engine off and after starting(running), and compare them. You need to see more when running.

I've seen several dash instruments that read incorrectly.

WillWagner

The Person You Were Warned About As A Child
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
:ditto:Verify the gauge is correct. Disconnect the batteries and load test them seperately, you might have a bad cell.

cranetruck

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
As stated above a bad cell or sulfated batteries may be your problem.
Image below from the PS magazine section, which has its own search function if you are looking for something specific...

Edit (about misreading instruments): The electrical gauges on the dash are grounded via the 1/4-turn fasteners and the mounting clamp of each instrument, so make sure a good return path is provided for the instruments. The second image shows what I did for grounding and with a dedicated wires to the battery from those connections (already present on the xm757).
The 3rd image shows instrument grounding clamp. (Note, the ribbed rubber connector is for the sending unit, not "hot" as indicated in this PS magazine illustration)

Attachments

Last edited:

M35Brown

This has been gone over in great detail in the Deuce section.
The main thing said, is a bad diode in the alternator causes this.
Also check for current draw with everything off.
I installed a Cat Master switch in my Deuce, and have had no more problems, and it gives me a key that can be removed when left in a parking lot.

Reactions: emr
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks