• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Battery compartment?

nspctr1

Removed the batteries to charge them and decided to clean the compartment up. The bolts holding the tray in place were pretty bad off so I'm going to replace them. Will stainless be OK? Also, found 2 round discs in the bottom of the tray. They are about 3" diameter and abt 1/8" thick. Any idea what these are for?

thx

NormB

Removed the batteries to charge them and decided to clean the compartment up. The bolts holding the tray in place were pretty bad off so I'm going to replace them. Will stainless be OK? Also, found 2 round discs in the bottom of the tray. They are about 3" diameter and abt 1/8" thick. Any idea what these are for?
thx
After poking around my Humvee for a couple days, it occurred to me I was going to need a LOT of bolts. Or WANTED to replace a lot of them. And washers. And use nylon locknuts on many of them. Amazon has amazing prices on 100-count lots of zinc chromate finished parts and, compared to the big box stores (or even the local ACE hardware which has a good selection of odds-ends, washers, grommets, #8 bolts, more).

I too had some corrosion around the hold-downs, and had a riv-nut tool on hand for other projects, pop-rivet tool I'd had around for 30-some years, so I considered how I'd want to reinforce (if not replace) the battery tray. The trays CAN be replaced, but I like my fix better.

BTW, I tend to use deoxit or other corrosion-resistant lube (the stuff you use for home wiring, like aluminum to copper/steel, I forget the name, stuff's black, conductive, has zinc in it) all over the place. YMMV.

hmmwv battery tray inside.jpghmmwv battery tray hold down underneath.jpghmmwv battery tray hold downs underneath.jpg
After doing the quick/dirty patches, I went ahead and took a steel brush to the surface then hit it with black zinc oxide primer and more of the rubberized 3M undercoating stuff.

Battery tray inside:

hmmwv battery tray and batteries.jpg

Have fun.

Mike82ndABN

When that red rubber boot on the forward battery wears out against the battery hold down, you are going to have quite the fireworks show.

After poking around my Humvee for a couple days, it occurred to me I was going to need a LOT of bolts. Or WANTED to replace a lot of them. And washers. And use nylon locknuts on many of them. Amazon has amazing prices on 100-count lots of zinc chromate finished parts and, compared to the big box stores (or even the local ACE hardware which has a good selection of odds-ends, washers, grommets, #8 bolts, more).

I too had some corrosion around the hold-downs, and had a riv-nut tool on hand for other projects, pop-rivet tool I'd had around for 30-some years, so I considered how I'd want to reinforce (if not replace) the battery tray. The trays CAN be replaced, but I like my fix better.

BTW, I tend to use deoxit or other corrosion-resistant lube (the stuff you use for home wiring, like aluminum to copper/steel, I forget the name, stuff's black, conductive, has zinc in it) all over the place. YMMV.

View attachment 663741View attachment 663739View attachment 663740
After doing the quick/dirty patches, I went ahead and took a steel brush to the surface then hit it with black zinc oxide primer and more of the rubberized 3M undercoating stuff.

Battery tray inside:

View attachment 663742

Have fun.

NormB

When that red rubber boot on the forward battery wears out against the battery hold down, you are going to have quite the fireworks show.
Thanks for pointing that out, Mike.

I adjusted it after the initial install for that exact reason, just didn't take a picture.