• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Battery cut off switch

Stalwart

It's never had a problem in cold weather -- using it in a couple different trucks. Of course it doesn't get colder than about zero around here. There are several trucks with same system and never heard of an issue.
I think you'll find your cranking amperage is in the 400-500 range, that switch isn't suitable.

scootertrs

Guys, those truck/heavy equipment truck switches are designed to go between the ground and the neg battery terminal. The reason is that under those conditions, the worst that happens when the switch fails and desintegrates (and they do... believe me!) the ground disconect install just does not... disconnect... the juice just flows from the terminal (now loose within the metal -grounded case-maybe not full amp cap, but contact just the same ) , but... if it is hooked up as a positive switch, and the same happens, the internals will bring 1000+ amps of 24V electrical power to ground... pronto... and fire then ensues... ask me for details... I had a master ground disconnect for my fire deuce and a positive disconnect to handle the electric primer and accessory pump and roll pump... one casual evening trip became a fireworks show when the internals of the second switch grounded out .... almost lost her... but quick thinking (not mine.... obviously) and quick activation of the first master disconnect... allowed me to continue on my trip with only a redder complexion and seeking the purchase of a second battery disconnect that now steps inbetween the ground of the primer/pump and roll pump and the chassis. Lesson learned!

Good luck

bsorcs

Steel Soldiers Supporter
:idea:
Has anyone installed a marine switch, like a Perko? They're 4-5 times the cost of the HF and some other switches noted in several threads, but one can get 250-300 amp continuous ratings in a keyed switch, and I think they're waterproof. Re the common key issue, I'd bet the first kid that more than the vast majority of pinheads that might try to nick a deuce wouldn't know forward from aft, or port from starboard, and would not be carrying a Perko key [but what the heck do I know?!?]. A Perko is not particularly military looking, but if it is hidden, who gives a rat's but? And, for those with non-self-exciting alternators, they are available with AFD.

For what it's worth,
bs

P.S.
I recognize that some hold squids in relatively low esteem, but as the boat guys say, any port ...

MyothersanM1

19K M1 Armor Crewman
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Battery Master Disconnect Switch (see pic). It's wired between the negative ground battery cable and the frame grounding cable. Mounted inside a locking box in an inconspicuous location.

Attachments

boomer

Brian,
Thanks for advising on this switch. Is that th stock color, or did you paint it. I ask, as it seems to look like CARC / 383.
Also, what are the amps rated at?
Boomer

MyothersanM1

19K M1 Armor Crewman
Steel Soldiers Supporter
24VDC 300 Amp / 450 Amp overload. They are pretty beefy. I seem to remember these were used in the M113 APC's and M60 tanks. Seems like they would handle a lot higher load than that.. The pic is of a brand new/NOS switch. I bought mine slightly used and it was painted 383.

jeepin

Knife switch from McMaster Carr on the negative side. Not theft deterrent but as simple as you can get plus I don't worry about amperage.

McMaster-Carr

Notice on the same page they sell Mil style battery terminals, those are good too!

Srjeeper

AR,

I have this style on my truck now for 4 years and not one problem. Gave a couple to friends for their vehicles and they too have not had any problems. I put it on the ground cable, use it whenever the truck is sitting, hot weather, cold weather, dry weather, wet weather and it's always worked just fine. Batteries stay fully charged, kids can't hit the button and start it up at shows & rallies, plus it gives ya a little extra sence of security. If you want to spend big bucks on these other switches, go ahead, but this will do the same thing they do for allot less. 2cents

Hammer

Another good reason to put the switch on the ground side is that you can run a 24v solargizer (or something of that nature,) to keep your batteries fresh and fully charged, and still keep them disconnected from the system.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks