• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Battery cutoff switch

Happyland1410

I added a battery cutoff switch to my deuce this weekend. I used a lockable switch from Flaming River (FR1005). It is 12/24 volt rated for 250 amps continuous and 2500 amps for 5 seconds. I mounted it on the passenger side of the rear section of the transmission cover (under the passenger seat). There was a knockout in the panel that worked perfectly. I only had to drill one small hole for the indexing pin on the switch. I had a 42" 2/0 battery cable made to connect from the switch to the positive post of the second battery. The original battery cable was then re-routed to the other side of the switch.

Here is the URL for the switch:
The Big Switch with Lock-Out - FR1005 - 584 - 5467

Attachments

itsbrokeagain

Just a small word of advice, I have not had a lot of luck with the green dial battery cutoffs. Im a mechanic by trade and Ive diagnosed several cars low voltage settings due to the resistance this piece puts into the circuit.

I had a Porsche 911 that wouldnt put out more than 12.8v while running, he replaced 3 alternators and the battery twice...i pulled the cutoff out of the circuit and connected the ground lead directly, and the car went back to making 13.8-14.0 with no issues. 2 of my friends regular cars also had the same issue, one of which was getting a flickering battery light and intermittent stalling because of it. All connections were clean and tight btw.

I havent had any experience with other types but that flaming river kit looks to be suitable..

WarrenD

I went with a Cable-Garbee keyed switch for my M37. Works just fine, but might not be rated high enough for a diesel.

Happyland1410

Looks like a great system Happyland1410. How sturdy is it? Did you find covers for the terminals?

It is very sturdy. Everything about it seems extremely well made. It is not the cheapest switch out there but I have no doubt it will last a long time.

I did not get the terminal covers yet. I bought the switch through Amazon but they did not have the terminal covers. My pictures did not turn out that show the back side of the switch when installed but it I don't anticipate any problems even with the terminals uncovered. I will attempt to get pictures tonight and post them.

Here are the terminal covers for anyone that is interested:
Battery Terminal Covers (Set of 2) - FR1003TM - 584 - 5464

steelandcanvas

To keep extra fuel and block the battery box I installed a passenger side jerry can...
Does this set-up make you think twice before checking the batteries? Nice idea if you're disciplined enough to un-lock the lock, remove the can, remove the two bolts, flip the holder down, check batteries, and then reverse the procedure. Good idea, I hate yankin' the battery box out anyway.:grin:

135gmc

A battery cutoff switch is standard on school buses. I found mine at an IH dealer, but NAPA also has them. The standard method is to install them in the battery ground lead - that way, if anything goes wrong, or the switch shorts out, its in the ground lead and won't destroy anything. My M37 had the switch on the front of the passenger seat base since the batteries were under the seat, and my 135 had it through the firewall since the batteries were under the rear of the hood. The 135 worked out real nice - the switch was high enough that you couldn't see it unless you stood on the ground and looked up under the dash, but when you knew where it was, you could reach up and turn it easily.

I also installed locking outside door handles - you can buy a standard general purpose truck outside door handle with a key that matches the holes used for the standard military outside handle. Check with a truck utilities company - the folks who build custom truck boxes, etc.

hughscpa

I know this is an older thread but how would this work on a hmmwv? Which battery would I want to disconnect because I currently can't let it sit overnight without draining the batteries. I currently disconnect both negative terminals.

I remember reading somewhere about a cutoff switch to the batteries. Not a knife type but a dial/rotary type if possible.
If anyone has done it, is there a part number for such an animal?
I want to put one on my truck in the battery box and also install a locking mechanism on the battery cover door.
If someone has a trick way of locking up the battery box, I'd like info on that as well.

Thanks
Look on ebay. There are batt. cutoff switches that use a simple key for about $10.00 each. With keys. The keys are very cheap, should you lose yours. I think I searched with "caterpillar battery switch". Without the key they are moderately difficult to turn on... but not impossible. Cats are 28vdc and much higher amperage than these trucks.

My suggestion is put it in the cab, not on the dash, and label it as "winch" or something other than "battery cutoff" so a potential thief will look elsewhere for the reason he cannot start your truck. Deception goes a long way in stopping a thief. 2cents:)fat lady sings

silverstate55

Unemployable
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Look on ebay. There are batt. cutoff switches that use a simple key for about $10.00 each. With keys. The keys are very cheap, should you lose yours. I think I searched with "caterpillar battery switch". Without the key they are moderately difficult to turn on... but not impossible. Cats are 28vdc and much higher amperage than these trucks.

My suggestion is put it in the cab, not on the dash, and label it as "winch" or something other than "battery cutoff" so a potential thief will look elsewhere for the reason he cannot start your truck. Deception goes a long way in stopping a thief. 2cents:)fat lady sings
Bob brings up a good point about the Cat switches; I own a D4 and have been operating several different Cats this past year. Each and every one could have the switch operated with a small pair of needle-nose pliers. My cousin called his pliers his "universal Caterpillar key."

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks