• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Battery Desulfater for any MV.

islandguydon

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I had a friend build me a 12v desulfater 5 years ago.This rejuvenates the sulfated battery plates in each cell and brings the battery's back to like new condition. All battery's are made up of 2v cells, each cell has it's own environment and will sulfate due to age and non use. Example a 12v battery is made up of 6-2VDC cells.

Proper battery's have thick lead plates separated by a mesh compound submerged in electrolyte, "Sulfuric acid and distilled water".

I have a desulfater on my electric golf cart 48vdc as well as my home power battery back up, 48vdc. I swear by them. I also installed one 24v unit on every MV. The unit will not discharge the battery's as long as you start it once a week. I added a 1.0a trickle charger to keep the battery's toped off. You leave it permanently hooked up it costs about a dollar a month for the trickle to run.
They come in 12v, 24v, 36, 48v and 60vdc. I check the electrolyte level once or twice a year in every battery.

Where I live in SE Michigan for about 3 weeks it stays down way past -0 at night. For some reason all diesel fired equipment MV or Generators has never had a low battery situation NO START, and I attribute this to like new battery's being maintained by a properly sized desulfater. These units are not chargers or equalizers just made to desulfate. After all what good is your truck if it will not start due to a bad battery or always rely on the slave cable to jump start it.

Just hook up the "RED to the positive" and the "Black to the negative" and your done.

A Solargizer is a awesome piece of technology. A desulfater works in conjunction with the 1a trickle charger to keep the inside new and battery voltage topped off @ around 13.1 - 13.5vdc. for a 12v battery. For the 24V the range what I get is 26.2 - 26.6Vdc

Battery Desulfater Maximizer Auto/Bike/Moped/Jetski/SUV | eBay

There are a few youtube vids on this ad to expand your knowledge or I normally would not endorse e-pay.

Just FYI..............................[thumbzup]

Don

Attachments

Last edited:

Smokinyoda

A Solargizer is a trickle charger and is an awesome piece of technology the desulfater works in conjunction with the trickle charger to keep the inside new.
Actually a Solargizer is not a charger at all, it is a desulfater.

scrapdaddy

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I'm confused! The solargizer IS a desulfater, right or wrong. If right, then I would need to wire up a battery tender also to keep them charged. I always thought my solargizer wasn't working because my batteries can go dead after sitting for long periods. The military batteries that were in my truck were shot when I picked it up. It has a solargizer on it, so how can you tell it's working or not.

Thanks, Ron

SCSG-G4

PSVB 3003
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Solargizer should show A/C current (since it is pulsing) of about 52 volts when the sun is shining on the cell array. You may have to disconnect it from the battery to tell. It will also show DC voltage, but unless in full sun the needle will swing a bit. It's the pulsing action that makes it work (higher voltage, but extremely low amperage) in the desulfating process.

cranetruck

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
A LA battery will sulfate when at less than full charge. Under normal operation the recharge after cranking will restore the battery (reverse the sulfation process), that's why you rarely have the problem with your civy car, which is recharged daily.
A solargizer will not restore full charge if the battery is run down, so a trickle charger for each separate 12-volt battery should be used also. Then, of course, if the battery is kept at full charge, a "desulfator" is not needed.

kipman

I have brought back to life more than one LA battery with my solargizer, some took two months to desulphate, it is a larger unit, the panel is 9'' by 11''.

kennys@wi.rr.com

I had a real problem with my batteries last winter. Of course the truck wasn't driven for almost 3 months. I still tried to start it at least once a week and move it up and down the driveway. That was a rea chore until I bought a batter tender like the one in that link. I also bought a block heater. But with just the battery tender I din't seem to have anymore battery related problems.

islandguydon

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I agree with the 2 star general, I like his link as well for the 24v tender. Thanks Kenny.

Is there a good standard military block heater out on the market,..............?

I want to go through the bottom radiator hose 3-500 watt is good enough for me.:beer:

kennys@wi.rr.com

The heater i have goes into the water pump. You remove the hose and barb from the cab heater and put the block heater in there. Then move the hose from the cab heater up to the next positions where ther is currently a plug. There is no change in the usability or performance of my cab heater and the block heater keeps the block just warm enough to help with those cold morning starts.

Dave Kay

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I had a friend build me a 12v desulfater 5 years ago.This rejuvenates the sulfated battery plates in each cell and brings the battery's back to like new condition. All battery's are made up of 2v cells, each cell has it's own environment and will sulfate due to age and non use. Example a 12v battery is made up of 6-2VDC cells.

Proper battery's have thick lead plates separated by a mesh compound submerged in electrolyte, "Sulfuric acid and distilled water".

I have a desulfater on my electric golf cart 48vdc as well as my home power battery back up, 48vdc. I swear by them. I also installed one 24v unit on every MV. The unit will not discharge the battery's as long as you start it once a week. I added a 1.0a trickle charger to keep the battery's toped off. You leave it permanently hooked up it costs about a dollar a month for the trickle to run.
They come in 12v, 24v, 36, 48v and 60vdc. I check the electrolyte level once or twice a year in every battery.

Where I live in SE Michigan for about 3 weeks it stays down way past -0 at night. For some reason all diesel fired equipment MV or Generators has never had a low battery situation NO START, and I attribute this to like new battery's being maintained by a properly sized desulfater. These units are not chargers or equalizers just made to desulfate. After all what good is your truck if it will not start due to a bad battery or always rely on the slave cable to jump start it.

Just hook up the "RED to the positive" and the "Black to the negative" and your done.

A Solargizer is a awesome piece of technology. A desulfater works in conjunction with the 1a trickle charger to keep the inside new and battery voltage topped off @ around 13.1 - 13.5vdc. for a 12v battery. For the 24V the range what I get is 26.2 - 26.6Vdc

Battery Desulfater Maximizer Auto/Bike/Moped/Jetski/SUV | eBay

There are a few youtube vids on this ad to expand your knowledge or I normally would not endorse e-pay.

Just FYI..............................[thumbzup]

Don
Looks impressive but curious; has anyone actually ordered AND recieved this thing from Malaysia?

islandguydon

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I have a total of 10 in use right now and every unit they are hooked up on will start on a dime. M1028, M35A3, 48v golf cart, 1 pontoon boat, quad, Chevy Avalanche, john deer tractor and 3 MEP generators. 1-3k with ask, 1-5k with ask and 1-10kw no ask. oh and 2-48v battery banks for back up units for my home. that makes 12 unts.

I said I swear by them.....

emr

question ...can U use both, answer really not at the same time, desulfators work best when bat is fully charged, for best results always clean bat, make sure fluid levels are full , charge fully with a batt charger , then wait a day to let surface charge dissipate , then do a hydrometer test on ea. cell if they check out meaning they all register about the same ...a desulfator is not magic it will not bring back a bad cell, ... then use the desulfator , usually they are a maintainer/desulfator, like said above a maintainer will charge if U have a week to wait, there are a gazzilion batt/ desulfator posts in this system , I suggest look em up, there is tons of info on this and products also, for a few years I had 24 batts to maintain, I am down to about a dozen , thats the least I usually have,, I have batts lasting more than 10 years, all the best

cranetruck

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I had a real problem with my batteries last winter. Of course the truck wasn't driven for almost 3 months. I still tried to start it at least once a week and move it up and down the driveway. That was a rea chore until I bought a batter tender like the one in that link. I also bought a block heater. But with just the battery tender I din't seem to have anymore battery related problems.
The battery tender should have wiring so that each battery can be addressed separately. The "Chargetek 500" does this and will restore charge individually so that they end up within millivolts of each other...important when charged in series.

I would also recommend that the maintainer is wired so that it can be switched out of the circuit during engine cranking.

Edit: Added a couple of images, one showing the Chargetek 500 installed on the battery box in my 757 and one PS magazine note with good pertinent info...

Attachments

Last edited: