• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

BATTERY DISCONN dash warning light

hike

—realizing each day
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Point me in the right direction please. I have spent too much time in the TM's looking for this and must just be too stupid or unable to channel the right mindset to find what I am seeking.

2003 M1078A1 has the red dash warning light BATTERY DISCONN lit, though everything (except the bricked CTIS) appears to be working correctly. She starts, she runs, the alternator recharges, lights in and out work. I have checked the fuses/relays, though all the small green lights in the panel aren't lit, again everything I have seems to be working.

Other than the fact that it bothers me and I am awaiting that moment the starter doesn't rotate and engage, she seems fine; and I haven't found the right place to learn where to start looking.

If you can point me toward a TM or have a suggestion I appreciate your time–

Keith Knight

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I had that problem with my 2003, if you open up the box ronmar mentioned you will find an electronic device inside causing the problem. When I was looking for it 7 years ago it was $700 new. I found someone parting a truck out and purchased it used for less than $100. But it fixed the stupid light.

GeneralDisorder

Steel Soldiers Supporter
There's a new versions of the disconnect relay. It's totally enclosed and much more reliable. Bussmann makes them now:

The original one's have multiple problems. If you have the original with all the individual wires pitch it - you will end up bypassing it someday to get home.

Ronmar

If you drop to two batteries, you can get rid of it entirely. The main purpose of that relay and the LBCD that controls it, was to disconnect a faulty battery from the alternator when it fails, to keep it from damaging the alternator and allowing you to continue the mission.

if you properly size the battery for the truck/alternator, that relay becomes unnecessary. I have never seen anything like this system on any vehicle I have ever worked on… Weird shit happens in the world of milspec.

hike

—realizing each day
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Further exploration leads to finding the LBCD disconnected. Connecting adds the CHARGING SYSTEM dash warning to the BATTERY DISCONN dash warning. Shoot. Alternator still charging, starter still engaging. So far everything I use works, even the CTIS when the connections are jury-rigged.

The battery disconnect looks like I do at 62, not how I did at 20; ordered the 3106 battery disconnect. Any chance that will fix both warnings? (The new guy has to ask, right?)—

Ronmar

Further exploration leads to finding the LBCD disconnected. Connecting adds the CHARGING SYSTEM dash warning to the BATTERY DISCONN dash warning. Shoot. Alternator still charging, starter still engaging. So far everything I use works, even the CTIS when the connections are jury-rigged.

The battery disconnect looks like I do at 62, not how I did at 20; ordered the 3106 battery disconnect. Any chance that will fix both warnings? (The new guy has to ask, right?)—
The LBCD controls that charging system trouble light. It is looking for an acceptable voltage when it sees the alternator over 1500RPM. greater than 24.5V if I am reading the Neihoff manual correctly. If it drops to 20.5v it disconnects the battery and puts it on a trickle charge. If your voltages are above 24.5v at the alternator I suspect your LBCD has failed…

you can download the N1509 / N1511 Alternators and N2003 LBCD Troubleshooting Guide from the Neihoff website…

hike

—realizing each day
Steel Soldiers Supporter
The LBCD controls that charging system trouble light. It is looking for an acceptable voltage when it sees the alternator over 1500RPM. greater than 24.5V if I am reading the Neihoff manual correctly. If it drops to 20.5v it disconnects the battery and puts it on a trickle charge. If your voltages are above 24.5v at the alternator I suspect your LBCD has failed…

you can download the N1509 / N1511 Alternators and N2003 LBCD Troubleshooting Guide from the Neihoff website…
hmmm. I haven't checked at the alternator; dash gauge is higher, CTIS H and M are higher. Sounds like more good news =/

All good, it is all good. Better to know and address, than being clueless on the road once it comes up. Thank you, I appreciate all you share here on the forum—

hike

—realizing each day
Steel Soldiers Supporter
So, while still awaiting the relay's arrival, @GeneralDisorder suggested, I am looking for a rattle likely from the cab latch alignment. While working on that I noticed the lights upon the alternator flashing in an alternating fashion: 24v, 12v, 24v,... I assume that is good.

Still left is the question of why the cab latch adjustment is found in hydraulics, (though the adjustment is actually just alignment of the latch and catch, no hydraulics in the task list)?

hike

—realizing each day
Steel Soldiers Supporter
With the BATTERY DISCONN and CHARGING SYSTEM warning lights on we are running through the ¿PDP? on the cab passenger side dash. I need to order some micro- and mini-relays, clean up the board and perhaps some electrical lube.

IMG_3495.jpeg

Good news is after pulling cleaning and reseating a number of the existing relays the CHARGING SYSTEM light is off.

Any suggestions for relay sources are welcome; I didn't see them on the pinned frequent parts list—

Ronmar

What color were they flashing? They should be flashing green? The alt is a standlone device, the LBCD simply monitors its RPM and voltage output and commands the disconnect relay or lights the charge trouble light…

yea the cab latch adjustment is mechanical, usually with the vertical position of the bracket or the spacer stack between cab side of the latch assembly and the bracket bolted to the back of the cab. You want to position the upper latch plate and the cab bracket so the cab guide plates on either side of the rear tunnel opening, set firmly down onto the guide pins on either side of the arch… when the latch bottoms out to early the guide plates will rattle and squeak on the pins. Latch bottoming out too late and the upper latch itself can rattle between lower latch and bracket…

Ronmar

Isopropyl alcohol and a 1” paintbrush for the board cleaning. Disconnect the batteries first and until the board is completely dry:)

Sounds like perhaps the alt excite relay(K11) was not feeding proper voltage to bring the alt online. It needs at least 22v at the excite terminal(front terminal on the regulator).

The A1 is easy, it only uses 12v coil relays(A0,needs 12 and 24v coils), so standard 5 pin automotive relays will work anywhere, found at any auto parts store…

hike

—realizing each day
Steel Soldiers Supporter
What color were they flashing? They should be flashing green? The alt is a standlone device, the LBCD simply monitors its RPM and voltage output and commands the disconnect relay or lights the charge trouble light…
Green—

hike

—realizing each day
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Isopropyl alcohol and a 1” paintbrush for the board cleaning. Disconnect the batteries first and until the board is completely dry:)

Sounds like perhaps the alt excite relay(K11) was not feeding proper voltage to bring the alt online. It needs at least 22v at the excite terminal(front terminal on the regulator).

The A1 is easy, it only uses 12v coil relays(A0,needs 12 and 24v coils), so standard 5 pin automotive relays will work anywhere, found at any auto parts store…
Added to my list—

GeneralDisorder

Steel Soldiers Supporter
If you really want it CLEAN then you remove it and wash it in soap and water with a soft brush then allow to dry in the sun. Apply Deoxit to the connections. Anything thick like dielectric grease will just trap dirt.

After the cleaning inspect all the solder joints with high powered magnification. Any that are showing signs of problems should be addressed. Ideally with solder that has actual lead in it not the lead free crap.

hike

—realizing each day
Steel Soldiers Supporter
If you really want it CLEAN then you remove it and wash it in soap and water with a soft brush then allow to dry in the sun. Apply Deoxit to the connections. Anything thick like dielectric grease will just trap dirt.

After the cleaning inspect all the solder joints with high powered magnification. Any that are showing signs of problems should be addressed. Ideally with solder that has actual lead in it not the lead free crap.
Good to know. With my old eyes I need magnification to read the newspaper—

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks