• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Battery Disconnect/Isolator Follow Up Question

NY88M998

Hi All! Reading last month's thread on the Bat. Disconnet, am running into my own issues..! Anyone know where to find/purchase battery cables, and what rating is required? Local mechanic is saying 4 but he cannot get cables that thick (as he points to the current/stock setup). He installed the battery disconnect switch on the dashboard; therefore I would need at least 20 feet to run back-and-forth between the battery (under the front R seat) and the dashboard. Would like to keep the dial on dashboard ideally. thx!

frank8003

In Memorial
In Memorial
Hi All! Reading last month's thread on the Bat. Disconnet, am running into my own issues..! Anyone know where to find/purchase battery cables, and what rating is required? Local mechanic is saying 4 but he cannot get cables that thick (as he points to the current/stock setup). He installed the battery disconnect switch on the dashboard; therefore I would need at least 20 feet to run back-and-forth between the battery (under the front R seat) and the dashboard. Would like to keep the dial on dashboard ideally. thx!
How much 3/0AWg cable do you want, I got lots of it.
Methinks 4/0AWG run to the cab is way overkill.
I know one can weld with the power taken from Deuce batteries, but Golly, How many amps you stopping?

Attachments

Coug

Steel Soldiers Supporter
battery cables should be 2/0 I believe.

Mogman

Staff member
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Running the battery disconnect to the dash sounds like a BAD idea, that an absurd amount of 2/0 cable

Coug

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Running the battery disconnect to the dash sounds like a BAD idea, that an absurd amount of 2/0 cable
The kit I linked above is designed to go to where the fording selector switch is located, of if you have the switch then just below it next to the diagnostic port works also.

I think it was about 15 feet of cable total to install in that location. It's all negative cable (unless you installed the cutoff at a positive connection rather than the ground shunt to rear battery negative like is recommended) so even if something happens and a cable gets damaged, you won't burn down the truck or anything like can happen if you short a positive cable to ground.

2/0 cable is absurdly large to begin with. I think it's either the same or larger than my F450 with the 7.3l diesel that operates on 12V. Likely the HMMWV could use a smaller battery cable without any issues, so adding a few more feet shouldn't be an issue (and hasn't been for my truck)

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks