• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Battery Disconnect Type

Iggy913

I've searched and not found the answer I was looking for. I'm interested in installing a keyed battery disconnect for some increased security. Through research here I plan on installing it in the chassis ground cable. My problem is what unit will work for me? I've found several keyed switches but all say they're rated for some pretty low amperage, some only good for 150amps. Others are rated higher, around 500amps, but is that enough? The batteries have more amperage than that when starting the truck.

What are you guys using?

zguinness

Good question. I'm getting ready to install a keyed disconnect myself but I'm still not certain.

Another thing I was thinking... most people have posted that you should connect it to the negative side. If you connect it to the neg and the switch fails wouldn't that possibly destroy your alternator?

whatadeuce

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I bought one of my Deuces with a cab floor mounted shut off switch that is descreet and hidden and works fine. It is made by Cole Hersee, Littlelfuse Commercial Vehicle Products, 6421 FM 3009, Schertz, TX, 78154, 201-651-1845. When I re ordered the switch, I upgraded to one wghich has cylinder materials rated for outside service. I think the part # is 75904-03-BX It cost more for this nfeature. Go online to see the catalogs for all other trim s available. safety switch 004.jpgsafety switch 005.jpgsafety switch 003.jpg

maccus

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
whatadeuce that switch is a good one and will work well. But remember that switch is used in most all the heavy equipment/ tractors etc.ever made and the keys are all the same so every person that knows/operates heavy equipment will have a key that will fit your deuce. Here is what I have used for years and they work well. Mount it on the floor beside the drivers seat on the right and toss an old knit cap over it to sort of hide it some.

http://www.eriksmilitarysurplus.com/bamadisw83ms.html

Master switch 1.jpg

zguinness

Nowhere in that thread is the answer to the question that Iggy asked.

Also, the disconnect you posted is rated for 12vDC.

Last edited:

Rifleman

Take a look at the Cole Hersee P/N 2484-19 weather resistance switch.
[h=4]Detailed Description[/h]

• Single Pole, two positions: Off-On. Silver contacts.
  • 175A continuous, 1000A intermittent, 15 secs On, 5 minutes Off.
  • Designed to prevent fires, tampering, theft, battery drain.
  • Brass mounting stem, 3/4"-16 thread, 23/32" (18.3mm) long, fits panels through 3/16" (4.7mm) thick.
  • Two 3/8"-20 copper stud terminals. Plated steel case, Hencol lock & two keys.

Last edited:

Jeepsinker

The starter is not going to draw anywhere near 1000 amps. Probably closer to 100, but I'm guessing more like 50- 60. Just because the batteries have over 1000 cranking amps does not mean the switch has to be rated for that as the electrical system will only pull what it needs, not whatever is available. Of course, if there is a direct short somewhere it can, but that will cause a fire in short order.

Happyland1410

My switch is on the positive side. Since I installed it I have read discussions making the case that breaking the negative connection is preferable but I have not had any issues with mine and have not taken the time to change it. FYI: I have used a marine type (Perko) dual battery selector/cutoff switch on my 1976 F250 4x4 for over 30 years without any problems and it is specified by the manufacturer to work on the positive connections.

Happyland: What cable did you break with your switch, the positive or negative?

Rifleman

When i contacted the switch manufacturer they too said it's best to place the switch on the negative side. The reason they gave me is if you should happen to ground the switch or cables while installing it you would not get an short to ground. The problem i have with using the negative side of the system is i have a solar charger, and if i disconnect the negative side my of my system then my solar charger won't charge my battery's. So it looks like i will be using the positive side to hook up my kill switch just like you are.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks