• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Battery Disconnects, 12 Volt Add Ons, and Air Tank Drain Valves

JOECOOL48

I saw a post just the other day about a SS member having his wiring cut and vehicle vandalized. The thread continued to the discussion of battery disconnects. My Deuce runs on 2 12 volt batteries in series, so I used a Harbor battery disconnect between the two batteries.
While doing that I also ran 12 volt outlets to the back side of the right rear mudflap(for use with an electric hoist) and behind the cab on the drivers side. Each outlet has a waterproof box with a cigarette type power point plug and a positive and negative stainless bolt to clamp devices that might use alligator clips. I also placed several power points in the cab to charge cell phones , power radios and the likes.. I also replaced the air tank drain valves with in-cab spring operated valves. At $5.75(from eBay) each I figured I would give them a try. At my age rolling around on the ground and getting up and down is not as easy as it used to be. I will let y'all know how they work.

PIC_0297.jpgPIC_0303.jpgPIC_0305.jpgPIC_0302.jpg

gungearz

Very nice setup.... I like the way you fabbed up the auxiliary port plate. I just took mine and installed it inside the glove box with the little bracket it came with...

Scarecrow1

Very nice job I intend to do the exact same set up with the disconnect . Provided I ever get the chance to, it is raining or my work load is just to heck tic . I like what you said about getting to old :) I SO resemble that remark. On the diagram of the battery cable that connects the two batteries where you have your disconnect is said to have a 12 volt output. You are supposed to be able to connect the hot wire to the jumper and then ground it to the frame . I haven't read of anyone else doing it but ,I intend to and put a voltage meter on it to see if it's true. I have a converter just in case I need it . I bought it before I had the truck lol

steelandcanvas

My Deuce runs on 2 12 volt batteries in series, so I used a Harbor battery disconnect between the two batteries.
What is the amp rating of your battery disconnect?

You are supposed to be able to connect the hot wire to the jumper and then ground it to the frame . I haven't read of anyone else doing it but ,I intend to and put a voltage meter on it to see if it's true. I have a converter just in case I need it . I bought it before I had the truck lol
Use the converter, it's easier on the batteries. There are a bunch of threads with pros and cons of tapping the 24 Volt battery system at the mid-point. (More cons than pros.)

JOECOOL48

On the diagram of the battery cable that connects the two batteries where you have your disconnect is said to have a 12 volt output. You are supposed to be able to connect the hot wire to the jumper and then ground it to the frame . I haven't read of anyone else doing it but ,I intend to and put a voltage meter on it to see if it's true. I have a converter just in case I need it . I bought it before I had the truck lol
I have heard that,but did not want to risk it, so my 12 volt system is fully contained with positive and negative wires. I used 12 gauge underground house wiring because of the double layers of protection.

JOECOOL48

How did you fab up that battery cable for the disconnect or did you have a parts store do it?
I just cut the battery cable in half. and used some old heavy duty battery lugs. Squeezed the wires into the lugs using a vise and soldered them. The disconnect have short bolts and nuts at the connect points, I then just tightened them and coated them in a rubberized electrical connection paste. I forget the name but if interested I will get the name when i go back to the barn.

Ford Mechanic

I just cut the battery cable in half. and used some old heavy duty battery lugs. Squeezed the wires into the lugs using a vise and soldered them. The disconnect have short bolts and nuts at the connect points, I then just tightened them and coated them in a rubberized electrical connection paste. I forget the name but if interested I will get the name when i go back to the barn.
Cool I was just wondering cause I had seen several folks talking about how not to put new terminals on and I'm wanting to replace my cables all-together.

Scarecrow1

Thank you Steel for the advice . I will use the converter just to safe . The most sicking feeling is when you hit the start lever and all you get is ............Silence .........don't it suck lol :)

m-35tom

Supporting Vendor
of course you have 12 volts across a 12 volt battery. just tapping into the connecter cable between your batteries will damage both batteries. one will be overcharged and one will be undercharged. you will learn this soon when you need new batteries. get a vanner equalizer and be done with it.

srodocker

I love the power outlet in the back. of course i have everything to do it just need to do it! and the air tank drain are awesome as you just reach on the mudflap and pull

JOECOOL48

I love the power outlet in the back. of course i have everything to do it just need to do it! and the air tank drain are awesome as you just reach on the mudflap and pull
Actually the drain valves come with a 5 foot steel wire (in a a clear plastic coating.) I have the wires routed into the cab so when I shut off the truck, I just lean over grab the wires while still seated and empty the tanks from inside the cab.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks