• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

battery guage question

rickf

Didn't think about it while you were here today but a lot of big trucks (civilian) run on 24 volts. Might want to check the big truck forums.

Rick

southdave

I believe there has been some post concerning RR volt meter and the charging system. or try saturn surplus for a volt meter
here is quote from Combatmech.
"Radio shack also carries 300 ohm resistors in a pack of four or five. I just used one.... attached it to the posts were the stock resistor is and it works. "
found in search voltmeter..

Last edited:

robertss

I just installed this one. its a VDO Cockpit Series. Love it so far. When I turn the key, needle goes to 24v, when its running it hangs around 28v. it was $53 with shipping.

Attachments

robertss

I used the factory gauge wires, even the existing lightbulb holder snapped in place. unbolted the wires from the studs on old gauge , moved them to the new one, mounted it and then good to go!.

no resistor needed, the resistor is neeeded on the old gauge to bring the 24 volts from the feed wire down to 12v for the gauge.

This one can be used on straight 24v.

robertss

Yes, fits just fine.

the gauge comes with a "U" shaped mount bracket, you just have to turn it the right way to clear the gauge light holder.

I purchased it from egauges.com, the part number is 332-902

bshupe

If the truck has the factory gauge you might consider trying to repair it. Mine did not work when I first got it and the PO stated that no one could fix it. I fixed with a little reading here on SS and going to my local electronics supply and buying a $0.50 resister. Give it a try. Once you start fixing things on these trucks you will be hooked. :)

MarcusOReallyus

Well, let's see here....

Did he tell us where he bought it online? Check.

Did he give us a part number? Check

Do I know how to copy and paste a URL into a browser? Check.

Do I know how to search for a part number when I get there? Check.

Bingo. I now know what size the gauge is. 2 1/16".

Cool. :beer:

rickf

So now we all know that you know how to do that stuff. Would have just been easier to tell us the gauge size I think.:wink:

Rick

MarcusOReallyus

But then some young, inexperienced reader down the road wouldn't have had the opportunity to learn something.

I remember hearing something about fishing, or teaching to fish....

:D

Besides, it sounded good to me, and I wanted to look it up for future reference. Using a resistor to drop 24 volts so a 12volt gauge can read it is a kludgy way to do things.