• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Battery hold down hardware missing, where can I source it?

blutow

The folks at gov planet were nice enough to leave the main battery hold down bracket, but ditched all the hold down hardware. It looks like it probably takes a couple J hooks on the drivers side and I'm not sure what is needed on the passenger side (holes in compartment, but too high for j hooks). I tried to look for some pics in the TM's, but not sure where to start. I went through the operators manual previously and also looked at one of the maintenance manuals, but struggling to navigate these things. Can anyone point me to the right TM to show what is going on and also recommend a source for the hardware? I'm not sure if this is something that can be bought new/oem or should be sourced used. I did a quick ebay search and just found the braket that I already have, but no hardware.

On a related note, my m1123 came with 2 new Deka batteries that seem to be performing well. I was originally planning to get the proper size batteries and assumed the batteries I got would be shot, but I'm now leaning toward using the deka's since they seem like they will fit ok if I put some spacers in to keep them from moving around.

Maxjeep1

Steel Soldiers Supporter
The folks at gov planet were nice enough to leave the main battery hold down bracket, but ditched all the hold down hardware. It looks like it probably takes a couple J hooks on the drivers side and I'm not sure what is needed on the passenger side (holes in compartment, but too high for j hooks). I tried to look for some pics in the TM's, but not sure where to start. I went through the operators manual previously and also looked at one of the maintenance manuals, but struggling to navigate these things. Can anyone point me to the right TM to show what is going on and also recommend a source for the hardware? I'm not sure if this is something that can be bought new/oem or should be sourced used. I did a quick ebay search and just found the braket that I already have, but no hardware.

On a related note, my m1123 came with 2 new Deka batteries that seem to be performing well. I was originally planning to get the proper size batteries and assumed the batteries I got would be shot, but I'm now leaning toward using the deka's since they seem like they will fit ok if I put some spacers in to keep them from moving around.
You need 2- long J-Bolts and 2-Short. 4-washers and 4-nuts. It will not work with your batteries and I cut fuel line to slip over the bolts so I could secure the batteries down until I could replace them. I believe I got my hardware from Mac Motors and I got a new battery tray from AM General for 9.00

blutow

You need 2- long J-Bolts and 2-Short. 4-washers and 4-nuts. It will not work with your batteries and I cut fuel line to slip over the bolts so I could secure the batteries down until I could replace them. I believe I got my hardware from Mac Motors and I got a new battery tray from AM General for 9.00
Thanks. I just added them to my mac motors order. I guess my batteries aren't tall enough to allow the outboard j-hooks to work, is that right? I hate to hack something as critical as the battery mounting, but I like the idea of not spending $450 on a couple new batteries when the ones I have are pretty much new. Anyway to make it work safely with these deka batteries?

1645557856391.png

Coug

Steel Soldiers Supporter
you can use wood or plastic spacers under and around the batteries to hold them in place and add enough height. Or spacers between the hold down and the batteries.
You could also do a sleeve spacer over the bolt under the nut on the J-bolts to push the bracket down far enough to secure the batteries. Any hardware store should have spacers like that in either steel or nylon.

Maxjeep1

Steel Soldiers Supporter
On top of the holder I put a washer then a short piece of hose another washer then a nut. I didn’t want to stick anything under the hold down bracket because it seemed to want to tweak it. Action found some really nice battery tray inserts that makes everything work out. Maybe Action will chime in and I think he said he found 6tl batteries from a parts chain for 245 ea

blutow

or get battery adapters that fit int the hmmwv battery tray. These are made for optimas, but may work with others if the same footprint.

View attachment 859757
Thanks. These look like a good solution that won't throw my OCD tendencies into a fit like cutting up some 2x4's or some other hack. I did a quick search and couldn't find anything like this. Do you know who makes/sells them?

Last edited:

blutow

I got 6tmf at oriellys for under $200 each. Been a couple years and still good. You dont need to buy the expensive AGM batteries.
Thanks, This was my original plan and I still might go this route if I can't come up with a decent mounting solution for the deka's. These oreillys are running $202 right now, but out of stock at the moment. Looks like the exact same battery as the napa version, but about $40 cheaper.

juanprado

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Napa is an excide battery who is a main military supplier.
O reilly I think is deka. My son works there and I bought 2 and both failed. I was not pleased with them. The oe wetcell excides can go 6-10 year if treated right...

blutow

Napa is an excide battery who is a main military supplier.
O reilly I think is deka. My son works there and I bought 2 and both failed. I was not pleased with them. The oe wetcell excides can go 6-10 year if treated right...
You are probably right because the weights are different (napa is heavier), but they sure look similar (at least the injection molded case). See pics below for comparison.

1645585372085.png
1645585402025.png

Coug

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Napa "specialty" batteries only come with a 6 month warranty.
For about the same price you can pick up group 24 AGM batteries with much better warranties.

These days as far as I know the 6TAGM are the only batteries being used by the military for these. Much longer lifespan, better CCA, and much safer inside a passenger compartment.

I'm not a purist, so I don't care if the batteries are identical to what the military used. Military does a lot of things to simplify the supply chain, not because it's what's actually needed.

About the only thing the 6T (non-AGM) series has over the standard civilian batteries (non-AGM types) is the vents in the cap are rated for being submerged under 5 feet of water.

Mattguy

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I bought the Orlieys for 213 a piece. Holding up great. I even bought the optima adapters but I'd rather have the original fitment.

Maxjeep1

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I bought the Orlieys for 213 a piece. Holding up great. I even bought the optima adapters but I'd rather have the original fitment.
I got brand new Hawkers for 947 shipped. I found cheaper ways from members here after the fact. I here about the wrong or weak batteries causing issues and I didn’t want to experience it. I have a new truck coming and I will order 2 more. Seems like any new 6tl batteries will be fine. Everyone can choose what they spend their money on and I chose batteries.

Maxjeep1

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Need a new thread, "What did you buy for your HMMWV this week instead of blow and hookers."
Hahaha! Hookers and blow is cheaper than Hmmwv upgrades. I really enjoy this forum and so many issues get solved here. Probably 13 members do most of the solving and I really appreciate them.

Mattguy

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Hahaha! Hookers and blow is cheaper than Hmmwv upgrades. I really enjoy this forum and so many issues get solved here. Probably 13 members do most of the solving and I really appreciate them.
I agree, I wouldn't be up and running if it wasn't for this forum! Great group of members.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks