• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Battery Isolator System

gijoel

24VDC System – New Idea… I think…
I think this will work…
We are going to use a battery isolator for a two battery bank system, using the 24 VDC 60 amp alternator. The primary bank will be for the truck and its requirements and the secondary, for 12VDC applications, once we step down the voltage. The second battery bank we will install a 100 amp battery equalizer (step down) to take it from 24vdc to 12 vdc. This will keep both banks charged, and allowing us to have a 12 volt system, by stepping it down from 24VDC.
Reviewing the TM and Foldout 2 about the generator wiring system I figure I could cut into the POS (5) lead from the alternator and route that to the isolator and then back to POS (5) with other lead going to secondary battery bank.
Has anyone tried this or do you see any issues going this route?

Thanks,
Joel Briggs

caliber1

What Gimpyrobb said. The EQ will have three terminals on it, a 24VDC, a 12 VDC, and a ground terminal. Attach cables to correct spots on battery terminals and then tap off the battery. No need to mess with the alternator wiring. Do you need 100 amps of 12 VDC? That seems excessive. That is what EQ I am using, just because I have it though. Good luck!

6x6guy

What I did to several of my trucks, is installed a 160 amp 12 volt, 1 wire Delco Remy alternator with a 120 amp duel battery insulator with common ground, that powers everything from a 3500 lb.
electric crane to 3500 watt, 12 volt dc to 120 volt ac inverters and everything in between for years with no problems.

gijoel

The truck is going to support some mining operations and some of the equipment we use for assaying requires 12VDC +35 amps, especially with the inverters. I know they sell 24VDC inverters, but I dont want to tap any power from the main battery bank. I rather have all the power come from the secondary for lab / assay work. The plan is to just drive to the site, perform the necassary work, and then move on to the next site. We plan to install much of the equipment in the bed of the truck.

Tapping into the 24VDC to pull 12VDC could cook the batteries. It seems to be only pulling from one of them. Not good.

I agree with you - I hate cutting into the original wiring and trying to avoid it.

Right now we are evening looking at mounting solar panels on the truck and charging the batteries that way...

AN/ARC186

Get a set of secondary alternator brackets from the classifieds. Install a 12V alternator to charge the 12V battery bank, it's cheap , simple and best of all it's cheap, did I mention it's cheap?

Having the second alternator in my mind is one of the best mods you can do to these trucks.

gijoel

I should have been more specific with my post: I own a M923 and about ready to procure a M939. From what I read, no one has a bracket system for the M923/939 series truck yet?!?!?!

zebedee

conceptualizer at large
Steel Soldiers Supporter
12v Alternator pulley/belts

What I did to several of my trucks, is installed a 160 amp 12 volt, 1 wire Delco Remy alternator with a 120 amp duel battery insulator with common ground....
Quick question - for the pulley and double belts; did you get longer belts or re route the existing with maybe a shorter tensioner loop? (I'm not familiar with this truck/engine setup so answer may not even be appropriate for my 5 ton!)
Where did you get the double pulley? That I WILL need!

Very nice and simple mod. Good clean work.

6x6guy

It's not rocket science, some of my trucks have that same setup, simple and only
took a couple of hours to do. I guess it's like anything else in life- once you decided what you want - just make it happen. For me visualizing the concept, and then KISS ( keep it simple
structure). A prototype works for me- lay it out- and then reevaluation and redesigned to its function or in my case- when I'am happy with it, and confident with it. 2cents

6x6guy

Now it gets a little complicated from this point, but what I have is for example in my M109,
as the pictures show, is a Delco Remy 12 volt, 160 amp -single wire alternator, hooked
up to a 120 amp battery isolator all with a common ground.
I also installed a 3500 watt battery inverter - which converts the 12 volt dc to 110 ac, which
also shares the body's electrical ground - and provides ac power for my satellite system,
4 channel IR security system, 2) plasma screens, microwave oven, interior lighting, outside
security lighting, fan for the LP heater, along with a couple others- almost forgot the
margerita maker ( great for parties).
I also installed 2) banks of batteries, a 12 volt HD battery selector-
with the 600 amp selector for the inverter which will allow to switch between battery banks.
The battery banks are independent of the trucks electrical system- as not to take away
needed power to start the truck ( did that -only created problems ).
I also have a 3000 watt generator, slung under the truck in a protective housing with a
bank of 2) truck batteries, to provide backup power in the event it's needed,
other wise I just turn on the truck, adjust the RPMs check the guage make sure it's
charging at 14 volts for 20 min and then fully charged.

overmanjh

Not sure of the availability on the civilian side of the house, and it is most likely more expensive, but some of the newer military trucks are running dual voltage alternators. They have both 12vdc and 24vdc terminals and two separate sets of batteries. pretty much the same dual voltage setup you are talking about but only running one alternator.

zout

Yup - back in 2009 stuck in a 100 amp equalizer for the main batteries when the truck is running and also tends to the 12v deep cycle batteries when needed - it figures this all out by itself.

I also put each lead on a 60 amp fuse resettable link.

kicker9898

Sorry to pull up an old thread but I've been searching posts for info on setting up my 923a2 as an RV.

6x6Guy, if you don't mind me asking...why did you put the battery isolator between your 12v alternator and 12v batteries? I thought the isolator was used to separate house batteries from starter batteries so you don't get dead truck batteries. I'm just looking for the best way to have a robust 12v source that doesn't require me to use the trucks 24 v system, that I can use for accessories while camping and for radios, etc while driving. I am also wanting to, if possible, set the system up for charging from the alternator while the truck is running and be able to charge from solar panels or a genny while camping.

Jason

6x6guy

Did the same upgrade to one of my M923a2 - installed a Delco Remy 160 amp alternator to the system to provide additional power to my 12 volt, 160 amp alternator for the 3500 LB crane and electrical components needed for some of the devices I have installed.
The reasoning for the the battery isolator is the duel charging of batteries contained on my truck and the 280 shelter
mounted on a bolster trailer with 2) independent duel battery banks to charge the batteries contained for my power requirements to provide 12 volts and 110 volts through a 3500 watt power inverter to operate my 42 inch plasma
screen, blue ray DVD player, HD satellite system, 6 channel digital audio system, micro wave, refrigerator, LED lighting
system and a couple of other goodies.

kicker9898

Gotcha, I missed that you had 2 12v banks. I see you are a man after my own heart, more power and more luxuries 8) Do your 12v banks have alternate charging capability or only from the alternator? I'm not a 24v expert, or for that matter expert on battery systems. I'm cramming to learn about RV systems in general. I guess what I'm asking is, since you seem an expert on this stuff, what do I need to do to be able to charge from the alternator as well as an alternate source like solar or generator? I assume a battery switch would work.

If you don't mind me asking, where did you source your brackets for the 12v alternator install? I've done a search but haven't found anything in the classifieds and none of the vendors I've checked show it. I must be missing it somehow.

BTW, thanks alot!
Jason

6x6guy

Designed and built it myself- with a cutting torch and a welder - what is visualized, obtainable and needed can be built.
The power sources 1) the 160 amp alternator- through a battery isolator - with a dedicated feed to the rear of the truck
into a polarized HD connector into a battery box located on a M796 bolster trailer which I mounter at 280 shelter with all the goodies. 2) Land line 100 ac power to a battery charger plug into a ac outlet in the battery compartment -with a multi switched ac outlet with the charger plugged in and ready to go, or my generator if needed. 3) looking installing a 55 watt solar panels in the near future with a electronic digital monitor sensor for battery proficiency.
ing

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks