• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Battery location

Digger09

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Was trying to think of the best way to mount a battery under the bed of the mule. I wanted to try to avoid drilling thru the bed. I've seen some with the mounting off the chassis tube. Any thoughts and better yet any pics would be great.

RodUSMC1962

Is yours electric start now? If it is the old pull start I think it take a fair amount of work to change it. When I in the Corps all ours were pull start, so I have never converted one.

hndrsonj

Senior Chief/Moderator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
It's easy to convert. I'd order a box from mechanical mules of America.

I really have difficulty with the photos posting portion of this forum. I was typing a response and uploading photos. The photos did upload. The response was typed, but my computer froze. I had to shut it down. Kept the photos and lost the response. Maybe I need to upload the photos before typing the response; let the computer freeze up; shut it down; restart the forums; and then type the response using the photos that were uploaded. Yea, that's sound like a really good plan. aua

Anyway, where was I? Oh yea, battery box placement.

When I bought mine, the battery "box" was fastened to the frame tube under the right side. It used a full-size battery and they originally used an insulated bolt as an attachment point for the battery charger. It does not have an alternator. I did not particularly like the look and wanted to be able to store the seat / foot basket in the original location - not that I ever will, but how else can you win "Best of Show" - not that I ever will. :D

Original location -

OK, screw it! You should see the photos, but oh well! aua aua aua

Digger09

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Its already converted and the battery was up on the deck. I want to hide it underneath so I can maximize the deck space. I was looking at group 26 size batteries which aren't to large or possibly a lawn tractor type battery. I did see the mount at Mechanical Mules of America and it looks like its mounted with bolts going thru the chassis tube but I'm not 100% on that. Is that ok to mount like that?

Digger09

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Sounds like mine. Runs like a champ. Just doing a couple little things before I paint and stencil it. Im almost there.

I am aware that ammo cans as battery boxes should be vented and I expect you are too.
However, I gotta say that ammo can hanging under there looks a whole bunch better than any battery you could put under there.
Most excellent job! I like it!

On closer inspection of the photo, I can see the cut in the lid. I agree. I can't possibly see how that can is not vented.
I still think it looks really good - much better than just an old battery hanging down there. It almost looks like it is supposed to be there - like some kind of ammunition storage rack.

Nice, clean looking setup. Please remember to tie the battery down in that box otherwise rough bouncing (do mules bounce?) will put the battery terminals into the bed causing a short circuit.

C15TA

This is how I am going to revamp my battery box. I was at the Sussex show in the spring and saw the way Digger09 did this and thought it looked great. Notice the way he finished the handle on the end of the can. Nice engineering.
Cheers,
Barry

Attachments

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks