• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Battery move

kentuckycucv

OMG! I was off road hit a big unseen rut... big bounce! and the my top bracket hoding my batterys down somehow (Bad Mechanic work) shorted the batterys....front negative and back positive..24volt short....batterys were Smoking... all the lights went out.... My batteries were cooking under the hood. i got my chanel locks and started taking it apart... to get the bracket off the posts....

I got no Idea how but I pulled the terminals off the batterys re tightened them... Jumped off of a 12 v chevy and she fired up! I got lucky. I thoght I was going to be finding burnt wires for weeks..... Made it home and I put a new battery in. Im going to put a keyed disconect switch in line with the ground just in case i have any other freak accidents, and extra security. found one at harbor frieght.

jdemaris

Anyway has anybody else tried this or had any bad experiences doing this. Hopefully it will be a helpful mod.
You won't hurt a thing with two batteries in one tray, if you can make them fit.
You can use two 12s in parallel, two 6s in series, or just one big 12.

Many industrial and farm tractor diesels use one big one instead of two smaller ones. Same with the first generation Dodge-Cummins pickups. My 92 W250 uses one battery and it starts just as well in cold weather as any of my dual-battery 6.2s (actually, it starts better). The NAPA #7235 battery in my 92 Dodge is seven years old and never given any problems starting my 5.9 diesel. Type 31P commercial battery. 9 1/2” H, by 13” long, by 6 3/4” wide.