• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Battery on off switch not powering everything up??

Chris Swanson

Hello everyone I'm new here. I've had my 5 ton for 3 years now. Everything has been going great use it almost daily until 3 days ago when I got in the truck and flipped the battery on lever non of the gauges lit up and kicked over. At first I assumed maybe the batteries were dead but I've pulled all 4 batteries and tested them and all had 95% charge on them. I can turn head lights on, the red gauge light and everything but when I flip that switch and usually hear the buzzer until the ABS light kicks off I get nothing. Truck is in Neutral. I can hear the PCM box making a click and I can see the ABS light let off one tiny flicker when i lift battery lever but nothing comes on.
For some more info in case this could help. I recently (while truck was off) pulled the emergency shut off handle. I've read that you have to reset a fuel solenoid when this is pulled but not sure that would cause no power up to the gauges and starter etc. If so does anyone know how to reset that?

Ive attached images of my truck to introduce myself. Im really excited to have found this website and look forward to posting more in these forums. Wish I had found it sooner.

thumbnail_20190709_193935.jpg20200423_135836.jpgthumbnail_20190709_193932.jpg20200419_191006.jpg

Chris Swanson

Hello everyone I'm new here. I've had my 5 ton for 3 years now. Everything has been going great use it almost daily until 3 days ago when I got in the truck and flipped the battery on lever non of the gauges lit up and kicked over. At first I assumed maybe the batteries were dead but I've pulled all 4 batteries and tested them and all had 95% charge on them. I can turn head lights on, the red gauge light and everything but when I flip that switch and usually hear the buzzer until the ABS light kicks off I get nothing. Truck is in Neutral. I can hear the PCM box making a click and I can see the ABS light let off one tiny flicker when i lift battery lever but nothing comes on. The battery cables are all brand new about 3 months ago. All the connectors are new and in good shape. Plus the everything else powers up fine.
For some more info in case this could help. I recently (while truck was off) pulled the emergency shut off handle. I've read that you have to reset a fuel solenoid when this is pulled but not sure that would cause no power up to the gauges and starter etc. If so does anyone know how to reset that?

Ive attached images of my truck to introduce myself. Im really excited to have found this website and look forward to posting more in these forums. Wish I had found it sooner.

View attachment 798891View attachment 798892View attachment 798893View attachment 798894

I wanted

simp5782

Feo, Fuerte y Formal
Supporting Vendor
Smack the control box under the hood with a hammer and see if it'll start after you do that. This is the box behind the washer fluid box.

If it starts afterwards then you have a bad pcb if it doesn't then you need to pull the power switch from the dash and drop it down and ensure you have power to it with the switch off. And power comes out of it with the switch on.

USAFSS-ColdWarrior

Chaplain
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Welcome Aboard :grin:

Find a bunk, stow your gear, and prepare to get underway :driver:

Not familiar with your vehicle model series. Others are already replying who are.

Just wanted to say WELCOME ! ! !

John
SS Chaplain
San Angelo, Texas, USA

Mullaney

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
Hello everyone I'm new here. I've had my 5 ton for 3 years now. Everything has been going great use it almost daily until 3 days ago when I got in the truck and flipped the battery on lever non of the gauges lit up and kicked over. At first I assumed maybe the batteries were dead but I've pulled all 4 batteries and tested them and all had 95% charge on them. I can turn head lights on, the red gauge light and everything but when I flip that switch and usually hear the buzzer until the ABS light kicks off I get nothing. Truck is in Neutral. I can hear the PCM box making a click and I can see the ABS light let off one tiny flicker when i lift battery lever but nothing comes on.

Nice looking truck! Welcome to the group.

Chris Swanson

Smack the control box under the hood with a hammer and see if it'll start after you do that. This is the box behind the washer fluid box.

If it starts afterwards then you have a bad pcb if it doesn't then you need to pull the power switch from the dash and drop it down and ensure you have power to it with the switch off. And power comes out of it with the switch on.

Ok so I smacked the control box and that didn't work. I was planning to drop the power switch down so I could test the volts tomm morning. On a whim towards the end of the day I wanted to see if power was going to the solenoid above the starter and rather than do it the professional way (with a multimeter) I went old school because one was close by and used a screwdriver to arc between the positive and ground. Well after sparks like you wouldnt believe and my screwdriver about melting (not my smartest moment) to the terminals the starter started spinning out of control for a second but was not engaged turning the engine. I promptly removed the screwdriver (After composing myself) and then heard the buzzer going off in the cab now. I went around to the driver side and it was as if nothing ever happened and everything works great now?

What could this have been. Its almost like this reset the system. I dont think the starter was locked up. Not sure?

simp5782

Feo, Fuerte y Formal
Supporting Vendor
Ok so I smacked the control box and that didn't work. I was planning to drop the power switch down so I could test the volts tomm morning. On a whim towards the end of the day I wanted to see if power was going to the solenoid above the starter and rather than do it the professional way (with a multimeter) I went old school because one was close by and used a screwdriver to arc between the positive and ground. Well after sparks like you wouldnt believe and my screwdriver about melting (not my smartest moment) to the terminals the starter started spinning out of control for a second but was not engaged turning the engine. I promptly removed the screwdriver (After composing myself) and then heard the buzzer going off in the cab now. I went around to the driver side and it was as if nothing ever happened and everything works great now?

What could this have been. Its almost like this reset the system. I dont think the starter was locked up. Not sure?
Intermittent Bad control box.

Jbulach

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Welcome aboard, and good job! I’m thinking you had a bad/dirty connection at the starter terminals that you welded back together with your screwdriver.

Chris Swanson

Welcome aboard, and good job! I’m thinking you had a bad/dirty connection at the starter terminals that you welded back together with your screwdriver.

Must be. It would be youtube worthy if someone had filmed me almost throwing myself off the truck when the sparks flew. The sparks were more intense than I expected LOL

Chris Swanson

Yep. That is why I bought a remote starter switch and knew how to hook it up. Also bought some NOS extra PCB cheap but rebuilding them is the cheaper way.

Whats the best way to go about rebuilding the PCB. Or best place to purchase a new one? The usual suspects? Oshkosh, Eastern Surplus etc?

Floridianson

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Whats the best way to go about rebuilding the PCB. Or best place to purchase a new one? The usual suspects? Oshkosh, Eastern Surplus etc?
Sorry mine are for the 809 series and will not work on your 939 series or I would hook you up. Google maybe and check prices to find lowest? Rebuild will be the cheapest. Also if you get a new or you rebuild I believe there is a correct engine shut down procedure. Starter / ignition switch first let engine come to complete stop then master power.

Last edited:

Shirehorse

Cannot stress that shutdown procedure enough. You will burn out expensive stuff with letters in front of it if you don't do it properly.

It is also possible to go straight through the manufacturer to get those boxes. As of last year when I bought one for my M936 they were still churning them out. Southern Automotive is the MFR.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks