• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Battery problems

Brutusdog

M1009 wont' start. Batteries are dead and won't hold a charge. They are TL6 tagged "new Feb 07". Is that about their life? I looked into replacing them today. The local Interstate warehouse does not stock them, so they don't have blemished ones. The only place in town that I found a TL6 was a Deka dealer and he wants $213 each for them.

Looking for suggestions on batteries and/or someplace near Louisville, KY that has blemished TL6.

NDT

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Yup, 3 years is pushing it with 6TLs. I just had 2 2008 Deka 6TMFs die. Same issue, $180 each here. Go with the Optimas.

DieselJunkie

I had the same problem with finding batteries for both m1009 and m1008. The M1009 got two new optimas since i drive it to work everyday and the m1008 got two batteries from walmart. The m1008 sat for 8 months untouched and the walmart batteries still had more then enough power to get her cranked up. I was shocked:shock: that walmart batteries would last that long. But you can get two 1000cc amp batteries for the price of 1 optima2cents

cucv1833

I like optimas also but on my M1009 I got 2-850 cca walmart batteries for $79 a peice I've been running them for almost 2 years and they hold a charge for months at a time with out use.
Good luck

Warthog

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
How do you check each cell? I put distilled water in each (they were a little low). Is there something else?

The old school way of checking batteries is to use a battery Hydrometer. It checks the specific gravity of the acid in the cells. Not very many people do that anymore. But it is the only true way to check the condition of the battery.

markg

if you have an interstate battery store close you can get used "econo" batteries from them. here in austin,tx optima econo's were selling at 50 bucks with a 3 month warranty if there is a problem. ive had pretty good luck with them.

Smokingman

if you have an interstate battery store close you can get used "econo" batteries from them. here in austin,tx optima econo's were selling at 50 bucks with a 3 month warranty if there is a problem. ive had pretty good luck with them.
Interstate battery stores also carry "blemish" optima batteries.Mine cost $100.00 each and still had a 2 year warranty. One had a chipped corner the other was missing the plastic film cover.Well worth it if you can find them.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks