• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Battery question for M-813 w/855

my blood flows OD

I just picked up an M-813.
It needs battery's. Just looking for a little advise on what is the best battery setup.
Two of those big 6d what ever?? what ever?? Type or 4 of the regular truck size?
what is your brand of choose.
I would like to eventually do a solargizer and run 12v accessories.
I've been searching the Internet for a few weeks now and haven't found where someone says,"This is the best battery setup for a 5 ton w/ a cummins 855". And everyone else chimes in"yes that is the best set up I have seen as well".
I'm sure I'm gonna get bombarded with replays about my inability to use a search engine. So Pyle it on I'm a big boy I can take it.:cry::cry:
I'm thankful for any help I can get.
I've lurked for years on this site and learned volumes of info.

Karl kostman

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Batteries and HMV is always a good topic of conversation, I see that you live in New Hampshire so you get a lot of snow but it doesn't get all that cold, I have a number of trucks with 855s in them and they are used right up to snow time in ND and what I have been running in all of them are two Interstate 6TL batteries. For my needs 4 batteries is way overkill and I have never had any instance of problems with this setup. Now one thing that is kind of important on any setup you choose is keep the engine in good shape so that it starts good, if your running a very tired old engine and you need to crank on it a lot to get it running then your going to need the 4 battery setup. All my 855s are in very good shape and start very well, like stated I always run only two batteries wherever possible!
Good luck
KK

my blood flows OD

Thank you Karl.
We do see some cold winters in NH. Not this year yet. No snow yet and it was 60% out yesterday.
So you are saying that the 4 battery system is stronger.
But over kill in most situation.
Is there any issue with to much power on the 4 battery set up? And what kind of batteries are most folks having good luck running in this configuration?

swbradley1

Modertator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
My XM813 batteries are getting weaker so I may be in the market for new ones. If I get new ones it will be two of them and they will be the NAPA Commercial with 1125 CCA each.

I have used them in another Deuces and they work great.

Tow4

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I have run two group 31 batteries in my M818 and also currently in my M929 with no problems.

74M35A2

Depends on the cold start temp. Block heater and battery charger, then 2 batts are enough. No block heater and cold starts on an old 855, I'd do 4 batts. My opinion. Above poster is in FL.

NovacaineFix

In my 818, I am currently running 2 Group 31 type batteries and it seems fine, but there is some reasons to run 4 batteries, but not always needed.

Like I said, my 818 only has 2 at the moment. As long as you are using 2 good deep cycle style batteries, you can't really go wrong. You would run into problemsif you were trying to use 2 batteries from a Honda or something like that.

As for your solargizer, that only helps to maintain a good surface charge for your batteries, it will not run 12 volt accessories, I have 2 solargizers on mine.
To run 12 volt accessories, there are different ways to run them, depending on how much power they will take, but running them on a 24 volt truck will cause an imbalance and cause the batteries to not charge correctly.

Without knowing what you plan on running and how much you plan on running them, I would sugges5 either a 12 volt battery independent for just those accessories or invest in a dc to dc converter with a balancer similar to those in buses and ambulances. They can be pricy, but that is probably the best way of doing it.

lindsey97

Above advice given by Karl Kostman is very good.

I run 2 batteries for 855 cummins, and they will start well at 30 deg. F. I use 2 interstate mtp-65, they are short, fit well into the battery box under the seat. They also have a much better warranty than any group 31 battery, which is commercial.

Be sure and insulate the tops of your batteries well, and bolt them down securely for safety.

I also highly recommend a coolant heater; it will make starting with 2 batteries below 32 deg. F a breeze. Cannot emphasize the difference a coolant heater makes.

Inspect your cable ends for corrosion, and clean accordingly. Check the ground cable and starter also. A lot of folks on here state that a common problem is the positive battery cable rubs the back of the engine block, causing dead shorts and fires.

Last edited:

Swamp Donkey

The Engineer
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I currently run 2 of these and have a block heater for the cold mornings. Been working fine for a couple years. I'll be adding 2 more here shortly but that's mainly because I installed the electric winch and want more capacity. They are about $100 a piece at Napa.

It's a M923 but has the same engine.

20151021_040626.jpg

20151107_222928.jpg