• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Battery question - NOCO charger - Odd start, 1 LED alarm.

therooster2001

I will start at the end, then jump back to the beginning of the issue. I was leaving for the night and hooked up my NOCO charger to the slave port, and after a couple of seconds, it goes into an error state. 1 blinking LED, which the manual indicates that the battery can't take a charge. I measured and I am at 25.x volts at the slave port and at the battery (not suspecting the slave port or cables). I did have an odd start to the truck that day. Master on, then go to run, and I heard the CTIS GPU hiss oddly and the ABS click, so I shut it off quick, then turned back on with no issues and no problems during the run, volt meter in the green etc. I doubted the charger, so hooked up to the car, and it is just fine. Before this, I had no issues, it was all in the green every time, and while I didn't check when I disconnected it to start it, I'm pretty sure it was not in alarm. I don't know what it is sensing that makes it go into alarm. Anyone had experience with that?

Since it's on my 5 ton, I posed this in the 5 ton forum, but if it needs to be moved, have at it...

therooster2001

Hold off on the help for now. I called the company and they think it's problem with their firmware. The tech says he thinks the unit is confused that is it looking at a 36V with sulfation, even though it's not a 36v unit. They said to run the batteries down for a bit (below 25v), then connect it back up and it will recycle back to normal. They asked me to send the unit in for the permanent fix. More to come.

Daybreak

2 Star Admiral
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Howdy,
OK, The problem is the G7200 is seeing the voltage at or above 24v. If you want to use the unit to top off, or charge it up, here is the work around.

Put a load and draw down the batteries. For a minute or so. Turn on the headlights or something to put a load on the batteries. This takes the peak resting voltage off. Now connect the charger. :)

After a month, I wanted to top off the generator Optima redtops. They were sitting very nicely. I turned on the fuel pump for about a minute to take the peak off. Then the unit was able to charge. Actually cruised thru the 25%, 50%, 75% 100% solid green quickly. The resting voltage of optima agm batteries in series is well above 24 volts.

therooster2001

Follow up: After rundown, the unit worked, but then th next time I came up, it was blinking at me, and I hadn't turned it off. I returned it, and the company sent me a new unit. I'll try it this weekend.

therooster2001

Follow up: The new unit works fine right now. I had to recharge both batteries with it, so I'm getting the use out of it. Will post if I have the issue identified above again.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks