• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Battery Question

M215

Hello all,
Just installed new batteries in the M35 and noticed a small spark when attaching the last terminal. What would cause this when the main switch is off? Will this draw drain the batteries?
Thanks, Karl

Desert Rat

M215,
Not all circuits are run through the main switch. Some circuits are connected in other ways. The small arcing measns one of the auxilluary curcuits has not been switched off. This could be a heater motor switch or some other smaller system not connected to the main line. Go back and be sure all switches, not just the main, are actually off. I know with my truck if the post sparks usually a system has been left on by accident.

Pappa-G

My truck also does this. It will drain the batteries after a couple of days. I put a lever type disconnect switch between the batteries and havent had a problem since(it also doubles as a theft deterrent). Let me know if you find the short. ~ Pappa-G [thumbzup]

Low-Tech-Redneck

You'll also get sparks, and lots of them, if you accidentaly should be tightening the clamp on one battery with a wrench, and accidentaly touch the other end of that very wrench to a terminal on the OTHER battery...... :)

That was an experience and a half :)

cranetruck

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
The regulator is always connected to the battery. It has a capacitor that may produce a spark when the terminals are connected. The drain is very small, in the order of a few milliamps, though.
To keep your batteries fresh, use solargizers or other charger/maintainer on them at all times.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks