• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

battery question

stump

Clean the post on battery 2 and check the wire from the pasenger side alternator to the battery clamp on the battery closest to the firewall with the cable off the battery using a ohm meter.

Warthog

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
yes, i got 12v won the driverside and 24v on the passengerside. i swaped the gen 1 bulb with the gen 2 and i still dont have a gen 2 light. i alsow swaped the gen 2 relay with the volt gauge relay. still nothing. gen 2 test good off the truck. im about ready to pay som one to fix it for me.......... this is starting to stess me out( that why i worked on the rear diff today).

Okay, you say you have 12v and 24v. On which of the two wires? Red or Brown? If Red then the battery feed wiring is okay. If also brown "WITH THE KEY ON" then the interior wiring, including the diode, bulb and relay are also good.

Please give us more detail if you want help. Pictures would help also.

Are you sure the GEN2 is wired properly? Has the wiring been hacked on at all?

johnsr

i get 12v on the driverside on red and on brown with key on. i get 24v on the passengerside on red and on brown with key on. if i use a volt metter going from batt to alt i get 24v and if i go from alt to batt i get 24v. but if i dirve the truck all day, the front batt (12v) alwas has a full charge. the back batt (24v) is around 50% charged. volt metter in the cab is on the very low end of green almost yellow. i have 2 new batteries in the truck. this is why i hate idiot lights, give me a gauge any day.

Warthog

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Okay so it looks like the interior wiring is okay, the alternators check out and the batteries are new.

Check the two large red wires on GEN2.

Wire 2A is attached to the ground terminal and goes to the 12v Positive terminal block next to the Brake Master Cylinder. Check to see if the blue fusable link is blown.

Wire 2C is attached to the Positive terminal and goes to the 24v Positive terminal Block behind the rear battery. Check to see if the blue fusable link is blown.

Also double check the 2 prong connector on GEN2. Clean it with some Electrical Contact Cleaner and use a cardboard nail file if needed. I have seen many connectors that are extremely dirty/corroded. You many need to replace it. The ones at the parts store use red and wite wires.

Attachments

Last edited:

johnsr

ok Warthog you just said the evil f-word (fusable link). i have never had a pre90's chevy that i did not have a fusable link blow on me, mostly the main power wires. i will check those in the daylight.

so this brings me to a thought i had when i first got the truck. cut out the fusable like and replace them with fusses. what do you think? i was looking at painless and found this.

Painless Performance: CirKit Boss®™ Auxiliary Fuse Block/7 Circuits/Weatherproof OffRoad

Painless Performance: CirKit Boss®™ Auxiliary Fuse Block/3 Circuits/Weatherproof OffRoad

johnsr

just replased the fusable link up by the master cylinder, it was blown. the insulation was still good but fellapart when i touched it. gen 2 light comes on and i am charging.

thank you for all the help.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks