• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Battery relocation with turbo

Having fun trying to figure out where to move my #2 battery now that the turbo infringes on it's space. Wouldn't be a big deal if I were using standard size batteries but I have the big 6T batteries. Anyone have any suggestions?

jsgmdiesel

You'll have to go to a salvage yd and get a pass. side civy battery tray out of a 81-87 pickup or 81-91 'Burb or Blazer.. That's what I did when I put the turbo on mine. It puts the front battery along the fender to get the clearance necessary.

Warthog

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
And if you can find one, get the GM driver side tray as well.

Bend up new spacer bracket that mounts to the front fender that is an inch or two shorter (closer to the outside) and space the battery tray up as far as possible without arcing on the hood (longer bolts at the bottom where it is mounted and spacers). This should move it up and outwards from the turbo.

Thank you skysix. I'm on the same path right now. I have cut the legs off the tray so I can still bolt them to the inner fender and have slid the tray closer to the fender while being cautious of the low section of the hood bracing. Got thrown for a small loop when I had to trim the inner fender for the downpipe which removed the lower rear mounting hole. Getting close though!

Looks great TK! Definitely makes sense. When I'm due for batteries I'll definitely go that route and remove the second tray at that point, but I'm going to make the most of the two batteries that I have right now. Thanks for the tip and photos.

Mike

True Knight

Yeah and with the price it's best to use what you got until that doesn't work any more. Ha ha. I had to replace the rear 6TL when it just died and refused to take a charge, and then a year later the front battery when it started leaking on me. So the mod was mostly from necessity.

At this point I am having a very hard time fitting the rear 6TL battery in position where it will clear the inner hood bracing and still be far enough away from the turbo where it won't melt. Looks like new batteries are in my near future. What are folks using for good deep power? Optimas?

True Knight

Let me make an argument for the optima batteries. I once ran the truck out of fuel right after I filled the tank up. The truck was running close to a minute from the remaining fuel in the filter/pumps/lines. I started the truck after refueling and it immediately sputtered and died. It took nearly an hour of cranking and cracking the fuel injector lines, and more cranking before it started again. What a pain in the butt. The Optima's provided the power needed without a complaint. So anyone that argues that they don't provide enough power is crazy!

I've heard a lot about Optimas, both good and bad. I am considering them. I have had very good luck with the 1000 cca yellow Duralast batteries from Autozone. I have them in two of my vehicles. One did go bad after 34 months and it was replaced free. 3 year replacement with no prorate.

No longer worried about cranking the batteries low after running out of fuel. Just turn the key on and the electric lift pump bleeds the system very quickly. Man, that's nice!

Skinny

I've never had performance issues with Optimas but I certainly have had a ton of hit and miss success with them. Most under warranty but lots have failed for no reason. I no longer invest lots of money in a battery based on a name. I go with decent warranty/price.

Skinny

Make no mistake, I have owned many Optimas in my personal vehicles with great success under hard abuse. I have also replaced many in other peoples trucks and friends' rigs that just all of a sudden died. Optima has been really hit or miss lately and for the price I am bored with it. There are plenty of good $100-150 batts out there.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks