• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Battery Shorting Problem

Green_gator

I recently had an issue where my battery shorted when I went to start my 109. The positive battery terminal actual melted down just a bit and melted through the top of the battery. I found out that the issue was that where the positive battery cable went through the frame at the back of the battery box headed to the starter the cable had worn a small amount of the rubber grommet away and a small amount of the insulation. This left a very small area that when it lined up correctly shorted the battery to the frame. When I pulled out the cable to see if it was correctable I found that the insulation on the cable was brittle and some came off as I moved the cable. I replaced the cable and used a length of extra rubber hose over the cable where it passes through. May be worth taking a look at the next time you check the batteries. I will try to get a photo posted as soon as I can find the cable to connect the phone to the computer.

Lieutenant
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Good tip on the rubber hose. Old 3/4" garden hose zip tied on the cable works great.

cranetruck

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
If it actually was a short to chassis, then the starting would have nothing to do with it. My guess is that you had a poor, high resistance connection at the clamp-to-battery-post and the starting current generated the heat, melting the post.
Always check battery connections before starting if the truck has been sitting for a while.
Yeah, the rubber hose is a good idea, works in a lot of applications.

Attachments

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks