• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Battery/Starter Problem

Dipstick

A gear reduction starter? Who sells them? Are they specifically made for the LDT-465? The whole IP thing sounds like it could get pricey. What makes you think you have to repair/replace it? Is your engine running badly or is it leaking a lot of fuel?

Dittos on the de-bugging and pampering. I've been doing that for the whole year I've owned Brutus. I'll check out Dell City. Thanks.

welldigger

None of the surplus dealers sell them. There have been a few threads discussing them. I forget the make and model. Its not specific to the multi-fuel and actually requires some minor modification. Drilling the mounting holes a size larger if I remember correctly.

As far as my IP goes it is sort-of a preventative maintenance and repair at the same time. My truck runs great. I fear the booster pump is contaminating my engine oil still. The IP seeps oil from everywhere so I figure I'll just have it gone through and be done with it. I need new injector lines because I can't get 3 of them to quit leaking. They didn't leak until I unhooked them to change the HH o-rings. Again, I'm getting tired of screwing with it so I'm going to replace all of them.

brianp454

How does the booster pump contaminate engine oil? You mean the FDC?

None of the surplus dealers sell them. There have been a few threads discussing them. I forget the make and model. Its not specific to the multi-fuel and actually requires some minor modification. Drilling the mounting holes a size larger if I remember correctly.

As far as my IP goes it is sort-of a preventative maintenance and repair at the same time. My truck runs great. I fear the booster pump is contaminating my engine oil still. The IP seeps oil from everywhere so I figure I'll just have it gone through and be done with it. I need new injector lines because I can't get 3 of them to quit leaking. They didn't leak until I unhooked them to change the HH o-rings. Again, I'm getting tired of screwing with it so I'm going to replace all of them.

welldigger

How does the booster pump contaminate engine oil? You mean the FDC?
No I mean the booster pump on the side of the IP. My truck doesn't have an FDC. The booster pump has a double lip seal that can give out. This causes fuel to mix with the engine oil that lubricates the IP.

Dipstick

My IP is a bit wet too. Do all multifuels have booster pumps? I've never heard them mentioned before. Diesel fuel leaks can be very hard to cure. Replacing your injectors is never a bad thing. I used to rebuild Detroit Diesel unit injectors in the Navy. We pop tested them to 600 psi after hand lapping the internal check valve to make sure they had a good spray pattern and didn't leak between injection events. Good luck with your repairs.

welldigger

My injectors seem fine. Its the fuel lines to them that are leaking in my case. Specifically the flare nuts on top of the HH. As far as I'm aware all multifuels have the booster pump on the IP.

The in tank pump feeds the booster pump. The booster pump builds about 80 psi before sending fuel to the HH.

brianp454

Yes, if you take a few minutes with the IP TM, it spells a lot of things out that are frequent questions here. I don't agree with beating people up about reading all of the TM's; however, the IP TM has some really good info and it's not huge like some of the others. CHeck out TM9-2910-226-34 on JA Tonka's web site. Chapter 1 pages 4-10 and 32 are super useful. Also Chapter 3 page 90 has fuel supply pump info. Chapter 3 ~105 has lots of good info also.

My injectors seem fine. Its the fuel lines to them that are leaking in my case. Specifically the flare nuts on top of the HH. As far as I'm aware all multifuels have the booster pump on the IP.

The in tank pump feeds the booster pump. The booster pump builds about 80 psi before sending fuel to the HH.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks