• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Battery Switch (Keyed)

JimmyThompson

I saw this on someone's truck and can't recall who for the life of me. I appreciate all your help thus far and for all the help you'll provide in the future. My question is, which wire should I install this switch on? I'm worse than Forrest Gump when trying to figure out electrical issues. I just need to know which of the wires I should install this on. Thank you in advance.

Battery Switch.jpg

212sparky

I am interested in drilling a hole in the dash and putting it there. Does the ground you're referencing go anywhere near the dash? Walk me through this please.
The ground goes from the frame to the battery. So you could route alot of 4/0 cable or just put it in the battery box. That way you check you're batteries on pre trip.

Gunzy

I don't see why this switch couldn't be use to replace the battery switch on the dash. Any thoughts? It would be very easy and straight forward to do.

JimmyThompson

I'd like to have the ability to secure the truck from turning on, at least somewhat. I got the $6 keyed switch on Ebay. I was thinking of maybe cutting one of the wires behind the red start button and wiring this switch up. That way, unless they has the red key or knew to "jump it", the truck wouldn't start. I'd prefer to keep it on the dash (convenient) and not run 15' or 4/0 wire from the battery box/ground to the dash.

I'm guessing my thinking would work as I know little-to-nothing about electricity. Keep the info coming guys!

quickfarms

You are talking about a security switch. A lot of military vehicle that I have seen, driven or owned have either the dash switch replaced or a keyed on off switch added.

The switch in you photo is a battery disconnect that I have been told is used for Race cars as a safety measure. The advantage of adding a battery disconnect to our old vehicles is for security, safety ( you do not have to worry if some one flips a switch when the vehicle is parked ) and to eliminate any electrical gremlins.

JimmyThompson

Makes sense. Can I install the battery disconnect switch in the dashboard by cutting into the push buttom switch? Similar to below:

BATTERY======BATTERY DISCONNECT======PUSH BUTTON START SWITCH (Which wire to install the switch on)

As a result, if I don't have the disconnect "connected/turned on" the truck won't start without bypassing the switch. It's a very small level of security I know but it's better than nothing.

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I don't see why this switch couldn't be use to replace the battery switch on the dash. Any thoughts? It would be very easy and straight forward to do.

2.5 ton trucks do not have a battery switch, like a 5 ton does.

doghead

Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Makes sense. Can I install the battery disconnect switch in the dashboard by cutting into the push buttom switch? Similar to below:

BATTERY======BATTERY DISCONNECT======PUSH BUTTON START SWITCH (Which wire to install the switch on)

As a result, if I don't have the disconnect "connected/turned on" the truck won't start without bypassing the switch. It's a very small level of security I know but it's better than nothing.

Yes, that would work.

doghead

Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Does not matter.

swbradley1

Modertator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
You don't "tap" into either, you cut one of them. Either one. Then take the two cut ends and put one to one side of your new switch and one to the other.

Then you will need to use both switches to start the truck.

rosco

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Anybody, that knows a Deuce (or equipment in general), just a little, will have the truck running in minutes with a nail or screwdriver. My thinking was to install a battery switch, but hide it. Mine is located near the starter (it only took about a foot of extra cable), and it interups battery power to the starter. I can reach it from under the wheel well, there by the exhaust pipe. Its out of sight. By switching it off, the truck won't start, even though you have the impression that things should work when you push the start button, and the Accessory switch, has everything else on. That will puzzel a few, but not some! If they are smart, and lift the hood, the game is over.\

Along with the above, is a buiness size card taped to the corner inside the drivers side window, stating that if they are close enough, to read the card ("fine print"), they are too close to the truck. Go on to briefly state, SOP and what "really" will happen if you catch them!

JimmyThompson

swbradley1--- You are correct Sir, I used the incorrect teminology.

rosco--- As one knows, you can never STOP a thief. One can only hope to slow them down. I agree it's an extremely low-level of security but it is more than what's there now.

SoundGuy

I used this switch (ok mine was a Hellamarine) and put it in the center hump. I then painted it to match. I disconnected the negative line from the battery and ran it to the switch. I used a cable from the slave connector and ran it from ground to the switch. It works great. Looks great and took me about an hour to install. As a side effect, I haven't forgotten my lights on or had the buzzer kill my batteries since I have installed it. Great Investment.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks