• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Battery Switch (Keyed)

JimmyThompson

As a side-bar question... During shutdown, are you supposed to turn off the accessory switch before or after pulling the engine stop? I've done it both ways. Just a quick answer without the TM reference would be great.

bigginstactical

Battery switches are great ideas for rigs that sit from time to time. I put them on everything we have that sits around just so you know it wont get drawn down from gremlins. Obviously if it sits to long the battery will naturally dissipate. in the fire dept. we have them on all vehicles just below the drivers seat so when you open the door it is the first and last thing you see. works good there. PITA for a deuce. Ill be putting mine in the bat box so I have to check the batteries every time I go to start it.

bigginstactical

I don't know what the TM says but I turn off accessory before pulling engine stop. My thinking there is a chance it could be left on.... so if my truck is off I know that my switch is off.
As a side-bar question... During shutdown, are you supposed to turn off the accessory switch before or after pulling the engine stop? I've done it both ways. Just a quick answer without the TM reference would be great.

steelandcanvas

It seems to me the way the accessory switch is designed, with the long handle that covers the engine stop in the on position, you should turn the switch off and then pull your engine stop. Have you downloaded the -10 Operator's Manual for your truck yet?

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Really? You just want an answer, but no verification if it is correct?

If you read the TM, you would see a few other things that are critical during the shutdown procedure.

There are 12 steps, not 2.

Attachments

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Just don't turn off the battery switch before shutting down the deuce. No load on alternator not a good thing.
I'm guessing you meant to say, a battery disconnect switch(if you had one installed on one of the battery cables).

The OP is using a battery disconnect switch, but not for it's intended use. He is simply using it as a keyed switch.

When discussing technical things with written words, it is important to be clear and concise.

Diecorpse

If you install the switch, just follow the normal shutdown procedure, then to the switch off to disconnect. If you disconnect batteries before hand and the alt is producing power, (or if you're using it cut power from the start button, turn your switch off last so it's good to go) the power will not go to the batteries, it will flow through the electrical system and could cause damage to wiring or other componets. Best to shut acceessory switch off, shutdown the motor, then disconnect using the switch. At least you wouldn't have to worry about somebody jackin your truck from walmart, unless their're good, then we will watch your truck in the Worlds wildest police chases!! Lol. Hope not.

Last edited:

zebedee

conceptualizer at large
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Post #25 - awfully harsh but oh so true. Did anyone else spot DH's jpg file name.....? :wink:

misterbill64

I have 2 part numbers for you, 7N0718 and 7H7290 .I bought mine (7N0718 ) for 16.00 on an auction site, It came from abcpartsonline.com I haven't installed it yet but plan on installing it behind the drivers seat in the floor , out of site out of mind if you know what I mean.

rosco

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Disconnect

I just went through this! If you are worried about shut down procedure - and put the disconnect in the ground cable (which is a good option), then put the battery slave cable ground on the disconnect switch too. During Winter, I put a low charge on the batteries, several times to keep them up, and use the slave outlet because it so handy to do it that way. But that is not a good way if the main cable is disconnected - especially if you have an add on wire for 12V accessories (just one small back-alarm). Suffice it to say, there will be back-feeding (back feed through the 12V circuit), and the system is not really shut down, hence there is a potential for smoke to leak out.

Last edited:
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks