• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Battery troubleshooting help

bjorn2bwild

For the most part, my deuce is in good shape, however, there's a problem with the electrical system.

I've known about the problem for a few years. My friend, who previously had control of the deuce and all repairs/etc, found that there was a short somewhere in the system that drained two brand new batteries about two and a half years ago.

At that time, he bought two new batteries and installed a switch between the two batteries, so as to avoid this problem.

Those batteries worked fine up through this past fall. The deuce sat without running from September 2007 to the end of January 2008. That's the time that I assumed control of the vehicle again and began assessing what condition it was in.

At that time (January), the charge on the batteries was low and the deuce would not start. I had the batteries charged, then I reinstalled them and the deuce fired up with no problems whatsoever and ran with no problems for a short test drive.

Since then, the deuce has sat. This afternoon, I attempted to start it and ran into the same problem as January.

Is it possible that these batteries are simply just going dead? Or do you guys think there's something else amiss with the system?

I will take pictures of the battery set up tomorrow and will post them.

cranetruck

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Welcome to the site!

The batteries will self discharge, but not to that extent. Check for posts on battery maintainers, solargizers etc on this forum.

When the accessory switch it off (on dash high to the left of the steering wheel), there should be no drain except for a few milliamps used by the regulator. Light switch off also, since it works independently of the accessory switch....
Check for added wiring that may have been installed by the previous owner.

gimpyrobb

dumpsterlandingfromorbit!
I agree. With the 2 trucks I have that are stock, there is no problem. The one that had work done on it before I got it, I had to rip out their crap.

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
You can take the batteries to Auto Zone or other similar parts places and get a Free Battery test done on them. A little bit of effort but worth the price! AZ has some very high tech battery diagnostic equipment. If they test bad, get yourself some "cheap" group 31's .

ygmir

I have 3 M35's and they all drain the batteries if left sitting to long........anywhere from a few months on.......
The only thing I've found is dis-connecting them. and, leaving a solargizer on......or starting and running them once a month or so for an hour.
I've posted about this, all my wiring is "stock", etc, etc. but, they still drain down. It seems more of a problem with older batteries, I'm sure because they are weaker, but, eventually, even new ones get low.
People tell me this shouldn't happen, and, I beleive them, but, I've also gotten responses about the same problem from others......

good luck,

doghead

Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Some guys add a battery disconnect switch on the negative battery lead. It eliminates battery drain and adds a bit of security as well. If you search for battery disconnect, I'm pretty sure you'll find more info if your interested.

emr

Re: RE: Battery troubleshooting help

ygmir said:
I have 3 M35's and they all drain the batteries if left sitting to long........anywhere from a few months on.......
The only thing I've found is dis-connecting them. and, leaving a solargizer on......or starting and running them once a month or so for an hour.
I've posted about this, all my wiring is "stock", etc, etc. but, they still drain down. It seems more of a problem with older batteries, I'm sure because they are weaker, but, eventually, even new ones get low.
People tell me this shouldn't happen, and, I beleive them, but, I've also gotten responses about the same problem from others......

good luck,
the more time one lets a bat drain down charge and drain again the more sulphation builds up on the plates, and as they may take a full charge they are loseing the ability to hold it faster and faster, It is a losing battle, ONLY a bat that is constantly held up to a full charge by a charger and maintainer will avoid this, It is a maintanence problem not a bat problem, The site Bjorn recomends is the holy grail of bat stuff & info, read what they have and can do and call them to get it straight from a tech, ANY temp cold or hot is equally BAD< and a bat drains even faster in these comditions, AND a dirty bat will discharge faster too...Randy

cowboyb06

I am so glad i found this site while doing the usual google search to try and find some advice for my truck.

bjorn2bwild said:
For the most part, my deuce is in good shape, however, there's a problem with the electrical system.
I bought a 1984 M1008 CUCV in late October of 08. Had to jump it to test drive and then bring it home, but it was in driving condition. To make a long story short, I've replaced both batteries and both alternators( I went to a local orielly's and after alot of grunt work found a match I believe. They're off of a 1980 3/4 Chevy. only came stock with one but used 2 in my application.) But I digress. I'm having the same problem; It won't hold/keep a charge. I've had it in the driveway, last ran on Thursday the 13th. Went out this morning to head to work and it was dead as a door-nail.

I have a large manual that came with the unit but pages I need are missing. I don't understand what yall mean with the "click the sticky" at the top. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Bobby

doghead

Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
RE: Re: Battery troubleshooting help

Cowboyb06, if you look at the top of this page, under the large white STEEL SOLDIERS, It says FORUM, click it. That will take you to the Forum page. Once there scroll down to the CUCV forum and click it. At the top of the CUCV forum page there are 3 "stickies" They say sticky next to them!(stickies are forum topics that are kept at the top of a forum page(often used, basic help topics). Since you will be discussing your CUCV, you will want to post in that forum. When reading Steel Soldiers from the "Main page" , notice which forum the post is in when commenting or asking for help. Like this question should be in the website help forum or in the CUCV forum. Welcome and good luck

dmetalmiki

battery prob?

the way your orriginal problem happend seems to point at a faulty control (regulater) box. IF you have a "loaf of bread" cutout on the firewall ..suspect the windings in that OR its NOT opening when engine stops. (draining the batts from pull in coil)w ith fully charged batts SIMPLY undo the cables in turn to the regulater...(spark?) = faulty. big flash? more so! if its the electronic unit do same checks with a voltage meter to see if there is a short. if in doubt how to..then watch for a spark/flash at the batteries when connecting them. after charging them OFF the vehicle. let them stand for 30 minutes FIRST and (ALLWAYS) wear safety glasses when connecting OR disconnecting freshly charged batteries. they give off HYDROGEN GASS!!!!! = highly explosive.

bjorn2bwild

Update!

Here's an update on my deuce's battery situation.

I pulled the batteries and had Oreilly's test them. One battery was reading at 48% charge. The meter could not acquire any reading from the other battery.

To complicate matters, the warranty on these batteries expired in October.

So, basically, I'm looking at two new batteries here, right?

Total bummer.

I'm attaching a pic of the battery box with the batteries installed. As you can seem a kill switch has been in place.

Anyway, the first step is to get new batteries, then I can address the wiring issue, if there indeed is one.

Attachments

emmado22

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Once you address the battery situation, tackle the harness and see if thats in bad shape.... One thing I'd do is clean all the "big" wiring connections on the truck. The batt wires, the ground, wires to starter, the generator, ect... Corrosion isn NOT you or your batteries friend.

zak

Your Pos to Neg cables between the disconnect switch ARE way too small. Get military post connectors and use them. Put 1" x 1/8" steel between the switch and the connectors. The picture is of my m37 but I did the same thing to my duece and it works great.

Attachments

Loose Deuce

I have had the same battries in my Deuce for 5 years and have had great luck with a Solarizer Kit I installed of the past 3 of those years. My truck does a lot of sitting, may actually go some where twice a year and about every two or three months I let it run for about 30 min. I also keep the battries water level checked and add distilled watter if needed.

If you do take your battriers to get tested, make sure they have a full slow charged done on them.