• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Batterys anc Solar?

caladin

I plan on replacing the stock batteries with DieHard Automotive Battery, Platinum P-2 - Group Size 65 when they fail. Im looking into also installing a 735X150 Solargizer to the current ones and then the replacments when that time comes.

My question is I would like to have a 3rd battery on the blazer for running odds and ends as needed. I have been looking at a DieHard Marine Battery, Platinum PM-1 - Group Size 31M from Sears <Sears: Online department store featuring appliances, tools, fitness equipment and more>.

I know some of you run a permanent charger hookup a spare battery? Any recommendation on solar charger? Will that battery be optimal? I plan to the charger to the top of my cab permantly.

tigger

Medic.
In Memorial
Dont know if this will help but I have a s250 shelter i use with the boyscouts and i have a 20 watt solar panel i put on the top and 2 6 volt gulf cart batterys wired for 12 volt and even with the boys leaving the lights on all day and radio going i have gone 4 days and had power to spair. I have a plug to charge it off my pickup but have never needed it.

dependable

Why would you install 65s when a 31s will cost about the same, preform better and fit into the stock heavy duty battery trays? Don't get fooled by brand name hipe (short for hyperbole). If you buy 2 new matched batteries, good, heavy, commercial grade 31s, you won't need a 3rd battery.

WARWAG

Well you have done your home work on the Sears Die Hard "PLATINUM" Batteries. Those are AGM batteries which are really rebadge Odyssey batteries which are the best you can buy period. The owner of Optima (when they were good) sold the company (who are now cutting corners in manufacturing Optimas) and started Odyssey Battery Company. As far as your 3rd battery an AGM wouldnt be a bad battery to use either but the Marine battery is fine as well. I would suggest an 80 watt panel or two on your roof. The fact that they will be laying flat will reduce there ability to produce 80 watts. A goos charge controller and invertyor will be needed as well. Dont skimp and or buy cheap Chineese crap. The only problem I see will be the battery will be inside your cab of your M1009. You MUST secure it extremely well! Dont skimp on this step. In a wreck or rollover it can be a deadly projectile. Sounds like you have a good handle on it so far. Post some pics. Solargizer (spelling may be wrong) makes a very good Charge controller.

firefox

General
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I don't know anything about these specific batteries, but if the batteries produce hydrogen, than you need to be aware of that if you keep it in the cab. I am sure others more knowledgeable can comment on this. Don't let hydrogen build up in the cab.
Bruce

TCUCV

I've also read on here of a few people running two red top optima batteries in the back tray and a regular battery in the front tray with a solargizer charging the front battery for all their accessories. This way you don't have to have a battery in your truck...this would be what I would do. Do a search on here for solargizer

Darwin T

i have two of the (DieHard Marine Battery, Platinum PM-1 - Group Size 31M) on my solar system at my farm and they work great. i use 2 of the sunforce solar 60 watt systems to charge them. i also have a (Xantrex XPower 1500W Portable Solar Power Hub) that is a battery, inverter and 12 volt plug on wheels) that i charge with a harbor freight 45 watt solar system. i use this to pull around if i need power. i only run 12 volt stuff on my main solar system (battery chargers - both dewalt and aaa, aa, c, d), lights, ect but i have never run out of power. either way perminant mount or removable xantrex i would put at least 60 watts of solar if you plan on using it alot or at least 20 watts if you are JUST running odds and ends.

jdemaris

I plan on replacing the stock batteries with DieHard Automotive Battery, Platinum P-2 - Group Size 65 when they fail. Im looking into also installing a 735X150 Solargizer to the current ones and then the replacments when that time comes.

My question is I would like to have a 3rd battery on the blazer for running odds and ends as needed. .
Having an extra battery NOT connected to your starting batteries can be real nice to have. I used my diesel Blazer for a few years to run power tools. This where I was building a cabin and no grid-electricity was available. I started out with one extra deep-cycle battery, but later made it two - hooked up to a 3000 watt (6000 watt surge) inverter for AC power. Also used a 120 watt solar panel. I'd run heavy power tools all day long, with no problems. I'd usually drive the Blazer once to town mid-day, and that 10 mile trip was all it took to fully recharge the storage battery.

Regardless if running power tools, or just watching a TV, or whatever. You can install a low-draw, full-time rated charge relay for $20. Wire it so . . . when the ignition is on - the starting batteries and the extra storage battery are all connected to each other and charge whenever the engine is running. With the key off- the storage battery is isolated, and you can't accidentally kill your starting batteries.

One added feature to the system is a cut-off switch to that relay. This way, if I've been using the storage battery a lot, I can start the engine first- let the starting batteires recharge, before that relay energizes. Otherwise, as soon as the key is "on", a rush of starting battery power goes to the storage battery in an effort to charge it.

As to buying batteries? I'd stick with an auto battery (non-commercial) whenever possible. for starting batteries Warrantees are usually much better and this is just about always cheaper in the long-run.

For normal useage, paying double or triple for an AGM battery is a huge waste of money. With normal use they rarely last any longer then conventional batteries - but you CAN run them upside down if you find that to be important??

At present, there are only around three companies making all the batteries in the USA. Sears Diehards are made by Johnson Controls (same as Walmart Maxx, Interstate, Caterpillar, etc.). Sears AGM batteries are Optima verisons - also made by Johnson Controls.

If you've got a big storage battery, a 20 watt solar panel can make a max of around 1 amp of charge current in full sun when the sun is directly overhead.
Here in NY, a 20 watt panel will rarely make even 1/2 amp. That's why I use a 120 amp panel when parked. It usually makes 3-4 amps when the sun is out and overhead [- and that only happens for a few hours on those rare sunny days around here.

Any solar panel larger then 20 watts needs a cheap controller. They can be found for $30.

Darwin T

i do realise that a sunforce solar 60 watt system is really to much to mount on the roof of a M1009. but, here is a picture of my system. there are other systems with one 60 watt or bigger solar panel or a 20 watt i think is considered a maintainer not a charger. i hope this helps and does not confuse you. :beer:

Attachments

jdemaris

I stick a pair of 120 watt panels on my Blazer roof - but NOT when driving. 120 watt panel is 56" by 26" and weighs 26 lbs. I have quick disconnects, so if parked somewhere it's easy to plug them in and stick them where ever the sun is. On the roof or on the ground.

12 volt solar panels in the 80-200 watt sizes have gone WAY down in price. I was paying near $5 per watt a few year ago and now get them for $1.75 per watt.

When I got done building the cabin using the batteries in my Blazer, I stuck up 1000 watts worth of panels and 6 batteries. Does all we need there. At home, my house, shop and farm run of a 5400 watt set of solar panels.

Attachments

Darwin T

i am going to add a 12 volt altenator, batteries and an inverter to the box of my M109a3 and connect it to the breaker box to run the box. there will be a solar connection somewhere just have not planned that far.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks