• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Batterys

sandcobra164

I've got an old ugly set of 6TL's in mine now, ship date of July 2010 and they get the job done even when the glow plugs are burnt out. With a CUCV, it's not so much, how much battery do you have, it's more about, "have you got fresh glow plugs" and "have you switched them to 12 Volts and tossed the resistor behind the air filter in the trash and completed the Doghead Mod?" 6TL's have way more CCA's than the motor needs but if you have burnt glow plugs, you can't even start it in "MILD" 45 degree POSITIVE temperature's Fahrenheit of course. I had 5 swollen Wellmans this last go around. I'm coverted now, I'm pushing a max of 12 volts to my plugs and it now starts as if I just parked it from a long drive with the glow plugs. I could probably start it from some discount lawnmower batteries if need be and still 24 volt's to the starter.

Darwin T

when it comes time to swap out batteries i plan for all of my trucks to run Optima Blue Top Dual Purpose Starting/Deep Cycle Model 8016/103. i have had one set in M109a3 for about 3 years with a batteryminder onboard desulphator with no probles. yesterday i installed 2 new ones in that truck and i am moving the 3 year old ones to one of my M35a2s. if you get the adapter they will fit in the same place as the 6TL Military Batteries and the adapter will keep them from moving around. it gives them the same foot print as the military batteries.

Attachments

Last edited:

762luver

LIke all things in life, it depends on your situation. For general starting on a semi regular basis non-standard batteries will work. I plan on running the 6TL's due to their stand by capacity as I run radios without the truck running and need the extra juice.

cucv1833

How much where these? are they considered an AGM battery?
Yes AGM. I paid $140 each. I figured most off the self batts. Were $100 and Optima were around $200 so that's why I went with these. There light,small, and powerful. I'm very happy. They even have both set of battery terminals on them.

I also installed a 24v solargizer to keep them fresh

My old batteries Was 1- new walmart everstart and 1- 2005 workhorse batt. That wasn't cutting it any more. With the new batteries and overhauled glow plug system it starts like a champ.

There call SUPER START EXTREME AGM. 995CA and 775CCA

Last edited:
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks