• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Bay Minette, Al...wanting a deuce

Spek

Hey guys, Great forum.

My friend and I have been looking into getting a Deuce(a couple of em :p) for a while. He is in Afghanistan right now and I think it would make for a fun thing to come home too. The problem is I am out of my element. I don't personally know anyone with a Deuce, and would really like to get some info and possibly some eyes on experience if anyone local might have the time to show me what to look for and such.

I might even need help getting the trucks back unless he gets home before I can get my hands on em.

It has taken forever to convince the little lady that I cant live without owning that piece of history...I would rather not make a series of mistakes that end with me having a 13,000 lb yard ornament. :mrgreen:

I am open to advice. Do and dont's. What should i expect to pay and what should I look out for. I really can't afford to buy ones that are already restored, but what should I expect from a good auctioned one? I see them on craigs list but I am not sure if I would be buying from an enthusiast who likes buying and selling as a hobby or the guy who buys one with problems and wants to pawn his junk off on the ill informed.

thanks for any help you can offer.

odonnys

I don't know much about the deuces, but greetings from Orange Beach. Thank your friend for his service and thank you for wanting to do something nice for him while he's away. I didn't have the funds for a deuce, but I got my brother the ar15 he always wanted while he way away in Iraq.

wreckerman893

Possum Connoisseur
Welcome to the Green Iron Laughing Accademy.:cookoo:

There are a lot of good folks in your neck of the woods that will help you get familiar with the deuce. They are a lot of fun but you must have the willingness to do the maintainence on them to keep them running and safe.
Right now purchase prices are fairly low (for the amount of truck you are getting) but there are associated costs that go with ownership.
They are old trucks and should be considered as a collector vehicle rather than a daily driver...not to say that you can't use them for work trucks (I do) or drive them daily (I don't) but they can be labor intensive.

You might want to check out this event coming up near you:

There will be a lot of military vehicle collectors there (I may even show up).

There may even be some deuces for sale.

8-9 April 2011Gulf Coast Rally at the USS AlabamaMobile, AL Our annual Spring event at the Battleship Park. This is always a fun event and we enjoy meeting with the members of the Mississippi Coast Watchers, Deep South, and First Florida Clubs in what is always an upbeat swap and sell meet.
Pensacola, FL 32514 • 850-475-5030 •
mvpco@yahoo.com
Click HERE for PDF flyer

Spek

Welcome to the Green Iron Laughing Accademy.:cookoo:

There are a lot of good folks in your neck of the woods that will help you get familiar with the deuce. They are a lot of fun but you must have the willingness to do the maintainence on them to keep them running and safe.
Right now purchase prices are fairly low (for the amount of truck you are getting) but there are associated costs that go with ownership.
They are old trucks and should be considered as a collector vehicle rather than a daily driver...not to say that you can't use them for work trucks (I do) or drive them daily (I don't) but they can be labor intensive.

You might want to check out this event coming up near you:

There will be a lot of military vehicle collectors there (I may even show up).

There may even be some deuces for sale.

8-9 April 2011Gulf Coast Rally at the USS AlabamaMobile, AL Our annual Spring event at the Battleship Park. This is always a fun event and we enjoy meeting with the members of the Mississippi Coast Watchers, Deep South, and First Florida Clubs in what is always an upbeat swap and sell meet.
Pensacola, FL 32514 • 850-475-5030 •
mvpco@yahoo.com
Click HERE for PDF flyer
Thats great. I will be there.
Thanks for the info!

dkeven

Now that I see how far away you are I expect there are several others a lot closer to check out, but if you find yourself this way feel free to contact. I am in Middle tn (Chapel Hill) and have a deuce if you want to really check one out. Mine runs like a top and is pretty much original except for spin on oil filters and egt gauge. There is a guy in Morrison tn who sells on craigslist a lot and seems fair on price, expect to pay more for one from a private individual that has checked it all out and replaced wheel seals etc. as this is pretty much a regular problem. GL auctions are pretty good but the wait for your first EUC may be a while.

Last edited:
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks