• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Be nice to your M105 lunette nut

KaiserM109

Advice: Be very careful when you take the nut off to clean up the threads on the lunette first.

I needed to borrow a lunette from one trailer to move my hulk that came without one. At 8:45 PM, 15 minutes before the storage yard locks down, I did notice that it got a little harder to turn when I got to the end of the threads, but I persisted. The result is that a ding in the threads on the lunette scored the threads in the nut badly enough that I want to replace it.

No problem! It’s just a nut, right? It turns out to be 1 1/8” by 16 TPI. I have scoured Denver proper for a replacement. My favorite source where I have been able to get all kinds of nuts and bolts tells me that it is a “manufacturer’s item” and that they can’t even order one.

A little help is that it is the same thread size as a large lug nut on 16 wheelers.

mhassett

RE: Re: Be nice to your M105 lunette nut

I know it is not much help, but I found them in New Orleans, LA.
MHassett
Bush, LA

bumble900

I was looking to pick up a new nut for a 101A1 lunette. Does anybody know of a retailer.

Also does the 101 and 105 use the same Lunette? Or is the 101 lunette also 1 1/8 by 16tpi?

Mike

m16ty

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I busted a nut on a M105 one time trying to remove it. The outer nut that holds the deuce wheels on is the same size. I just used two of them and jamed them up so it wouldn't come loose.

Gamagoat1

Advice: Be very careful when you take the nut off to clean up the threads on the lunette first.

I needed to borrow a lunette from one trailer to move my hulk that came without one. At 8:45 PM, 15 minutes before the storage yard locks down, I did notice that it got a little harder to turn when I got to the end of the threads, but I persisted. The result is that a ding in the threads on the lunette scored the threads in the nut badly enough that I want to replace it.

No problem! It’s just a nut, right? It turns out to be 1 1/8†by 16 TPI. I have scoured Denver proper for a replacement. My favorite source where I have been able to get all kinds of nuts and bolts tells me that it is a “manufacturer’s item†and that they can’t even order one.

A little help is that it is the same thread size as a large lug nut on 16 wheelers.
I found one at A&I nut and bolt

Oldfart

I found one at A&I nut and bolt

A&I Nut and Bolt used to be my main source. They have moved somewhere up in Commerce City and changed names. My Son would have all that info. Fastenal is more convient with multiple outlets in the Denver area, but I think the new/old A&I still has better stock and sources of supply. ~~~ If it is as they say, the lunette threads are the same as a deuce lug nut, then I would think about milling the nut flat (shave off the coining). There are surplus military tap and die sets around that have that thread included. You should be able to clean up the lunette threads and then double nut to make sure you have a full nut worth of threads to hold.