• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Bead Breaker

Blood_of_Tyrants

All those hours I spent in the motor pool, sweating over tire changing using noting more than a sledge hammer and angle iron "wedges" because the mechanics said that was the "Army way"? And they had these hidden somewhere in the back of the tool trailer?

Where would I apply for compensation for such torture?:roll:
With all the women in the Army now, I'll bet that they have gotten these hydro-pneumatic jobs so the women can"do the same things a man can do".:roll:

DavidB

Latest word at the NG armory is wheels and tires come and go as set.must need to use up some NOS stuff. I use the small pneumatic/hydraulic bead breaker. It works great and will do ag tractor tires mounted on machine.As others posted airing is where you can run into problems,be safe.
DavidB

11Echo

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I think this is the tool you are refering to. It is in TM 9-1870-1 "Pneumatic Tires" Feb 1955

I have only seen a few of them and they seem complex. But the illustrations may give you a few ideas. The better machine is the Bishman tire changer As used by the US ARMY. I have one and they work great. They turn up on GL everyonce in a while. Much better tool. Just taking your tires to the local truck tire shop is the easiest thing to do. And usually worth the money if you are only changing a few.

Cat Man
Do you have any pics of a Bishman in action?

Attachments

Last edited:

clinto

Moderator, wonderful human being & practicing Deuc
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
I have a bunch of wheels I need to break down this winter to have blasted so I can paint them and mount some new tires. Last few I broke down, I used the spade on my tire machine at work, but the batch of rims I am working on are ancient and the spade just can't quite get the tire far enough down (it's on a passenger car mounting machine).

So I think I am going to go ahead and buy a bead breaker.... you guy see any problem with something like this:

Portable Bead Breaker : Fits All Rim Types Heavy Duty :eBay Motors (item 400084565618 end time Nov-17-09 08:08:09 PST)

Attachments

Stretch44875

Super Jr. Moderator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I would say that one will work. Just need a high pressure pump to operate it. It should be rated for 10,000 psi. You can hand pump them, just will take a while.

CARNAC

The Envelope Please.
Supporting Vendor
If anyone can help me out, I'm looking for a picture of this specific item and cannot find it on the web.

4910-01-325-2974
BEAD BREAKER,PNEUMA, MANUALLY OPERATED,WORKS 1300 X 24, 1400 X 24, AND 15.5 X 25 WHEELS AND DROP WHEELS, 750 X 15 TO 17.5 X 25,
Civy model is a Galaxy BB105289 or Brannick MBB

Need a good photo. Thanks

Ferroequinologist

Resident railroad expert
Steel Soldiers Supporter
With all the women in the Army now, I'll bet that they have gotten these hydro-pneumatic jobs so the women can"do the same things a man can do".:roll:
My wife broke down and changed most of the 9x20s to 11r20s on her M109 using the 3 pieces of angle iron and a sledge. I broke down a few too. Still could only do 2 each a day.

I have just recently started looking for a breaker. Figures, after I've already changed 20 the hard way...

Dave Kay

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I need some advice on this subject; Talking about regular tire/rims, NOT split rims.

Got some tire irons and been taking tires off wheels with NO problems lately, using a few differnt methods for breaking beads of course, and I can get tires off the rims alright but in doing so I'm getting some damage to the tire's bead-area. Like tears and gouges. Now these are all old, worn tires so that damage doesn't matter.

But I want to know is if I'm going to de-mount tires and re-mount tires back onto rims what am I doing wrong that's tearing up the tire's bead? Wrong tool? Wrong technique? Or maybe just old, worn out tire rubber? Any comments would be appreciated.

Here's what I've got;

Attachments

Kohburn

those tires look too dry rotted to remount to me - even if they hadn't been damaged by the spoons.

Dave Kay

Steel Soldiers Supporter
those tires look too dry rotted to remount to me - even if they hadn't been damaged by the spoons.
Roger that, not looking to re-mount those oldies. But I am looking to maybe buy some new tires (or newer used) and mount to rims then go get 'em balanced. My idea is to save a few bucks on mounting because winter treads are what I need for now. Then later when when summer rolls around I'll want to change back to a differnt tread, ect,.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks