• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

bead lock-run flat questions mil hummer

bcowanwheels

i just bought some rubber run flat - bead locks off gov liq. and there seems to be 2 different types here. I,ve seen the completely 1 piece design in 12 bolts but this batch looks like theres 2 more types !
1. tall run flat (very skinny) seems like it takes 2 side rubber parts for the bead lock part !
2. run flay is wider on 1 side and seems to take 1 extra rubber part for bead lock.
can somebody help me out here ?
thanks
bob

steelsoldiers

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Can you post some pics, Bob? I am a little confused by your description. I have three different types of run-flat/bead-locks and bead-locks in my garage. A couple of them were used in the 1-piece H1 rims and the other was used in the 12-bolt.

I am thinking about using some PVC bead-lock inserts in my 24-bolt rims since I don't want/need the run-flat. These are a good example: Hummer Wheel PVC Insert

papaydsailor

help! do i need a special sealing liquid or gel besides a ratchet and pry bar for this 2 piece wheel with single run flats /bead lock? i did not notice that i have a busted wheel till i got home after offroading, thanks to the run flat. BUT after replacing the old tire on this 2 piece wheel following the instruction on you tube using the ratchet i finally was able to put it back together with a the runflat and a new tire, but the air is not holding. also has anybody tried replacing your heavy 2 piece wheel with the Trail Worthy Fab $209.95 8 Bolt Hummer Wheel Special w/TIRES ,with PVC bead locker seems like a good deal and lighter and you can just take to any tire repair shop for repair.

Last edited:

bcowanwheels

I USE murphys ture grease when i mount tires but i have a comercial shop. dawn dish detergent mildly diluted with water will do same thing. it also aids in sealing the tire bead to the rim.

Augi

help! do i need a special sealing liquid or gel besides a ratchet and pry bar for this 2 piece wheel with single run flats /bead lock? i did not notice that i have a busted wheel till i got home after offroading, thanks to the run flat. BUT after replacing the old tire on this 2 piece wheel following the instruction on you tube using the ratchet i finally was able to put it back together with a the runflat and a new tire, but the air is not holding. also has anybody tried replacing your heavy 2 piece wheel with the Trail Worthy Fab $209.95 8 Bolt Hummer Wheel Special w/TIRES , seems like a good deal and lighter and you can just take to any tire repair shop for repair.

FYI what they are shipping is unsafe. Radial tires should not be installed on 8-bolt wheels. They are not strong enough to run the tire pressures that you should run radials at. That's why the 12 and 24 bolt wheels were developed.

Max TP on the 8-bolt wheels with bias ply tires is 20psi. Max TP on the 12-bolt wheels with radials is 50psi. I run radials at 40-45psi for on road use.

Augi

papaydsailor

FYI what they are shipping is unsafe. Radial tires should not be installed on 8-bolt wheels. They are not strong enough to run the tire pressures that you should run radials at. That's why the 12 and 24 bolt wheels were developed.

Max TP on the 8-bolt wheels with bias ply tires is 20psi. Max TP on the 12-bolt wheels with radials is 50psi. I run radials at 40-45psi for on road use.

Augi
THANKS for the info! also i been having a shaking and wobbling problem with my 12 bolt single run flats since those clip on balancer balancing shop put on the side of the rimsfell off, is there another way of balancing it besides putting sand or airsoft pellets inside. if i take out the runflats/bead locker to make the vehicle run lighter/ save gas/ easy tire repair does the tire shop still has to take off the 12 bolt 2 piece rim to change/ repair the tires.

Augi

If you threw a weight then you will definitely have vibration issues at speed. The rims are no different than any other when it comes to balancing. They do need to be balanced and any competent shop should be able to do it, probably any incompetent one too for that matter.

I just got some centramatics not long ago and they are fantastic at making up for the crappy balancing that comes from using runflats.

If you pull out the runflats, a tire shop will be able to mount and dismount the tires without splitting the halves, but there is a much greater chance of the bead breaking if you run low pressures. The rim is designed to be used with bead locking runflats and the bead channel and bead angle do not offer the proper grip alone.

Augi

Last edited:

406 YJ

Can you post some pics, Bob? I am a little confused by your description. I have three different types of run-flat/bead-locks and bead-locks in my garage. A couple of them were used in the 1-piece H1 rims and the other was used in the 12-bolt.

I am thinking about using some PVC bead-lock inserts in my 24-bolt rims since I don't want/need the run-flat. These are a good example: Hummer Wheel PVC Insert
Good post!

As the owner of Trail Worthy Fab, this is a subject I might know a little about. PVC is a great way to go if you want to air down and do not need the tall profile that is used at war to drive out of combat. There are all kinds of rubber runflats as far as width because of the bead thickness of the tires they have offered over the years. Example:

(IN STOCK FORM)

The 8 bolt wheels came with Mag runflats that were bolt together and had a 36" bias ply tire on them.

This does not add up to the fact that a 37" radial can not be ran with them. The only reason that they could not be is if you have the "insert" be it pvc or mag or a rubber runflat that is not made for the tire you are running. We deal with 99% of H1 wheels only in our business and know what width inserts are needed for which tires, from stock military tires to pitbull or swapers.

The stock 12 bolt came with an either 1 or 2 pc. rubber runflat and a radial 37" tire. A mag runflat as a rule will not work with an MT 37" tire without impacting the snot out of it as it is wider and was designed for the bias ply tire that had a thinner bead.

pic of a 2 pc. rubber runflat.

Then the release of the 24 bolt wheel. These again had rubber runflats and the tires have been either BFG baha TA's or MTR's and they have tired a few other tires along the way as well.

Augi
What you are talking about is tire pressure. A 36" bias ply tire would need to be ran at a different pressure than a 37" Radial. It is true that a 12 bolt and 24 bolt wheel have a higer weight but how many people are going to use them on a rig that is over 13,000#'s? And when you change the center then that number goes up even higher as our centers are much stronger than a stock center and thicker too.

What most people think is "you can't run that tire on that H1 wheel". Sorry.... But they are wrong. What needs to change is the insert and the width of the insert so that it works for the bead thickness of the tire you land on.

There are a lot of things to take into effect when dealing with H1 wheels. If they are recentred they are stronger than in stock form as our centers are thicker and stronger than the stock centers that are cut out. I will be more than happy to show pictures or answer any questions on this subject.

Take care,

Todd

PS. How many posts until my pictures show up? I feel I might be able to offer some good tech but if the pictures have to be clicked on it doesn't work as good.

Last edited:

patracy

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Pictures will not show up in the thread that are remote hosted, but you may upload them to the site so they can be more easily viewed.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks