• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Bearing / rear pinion seal question.

edpdx

I've had this whirring sound (not sure how it is different from whining- I've never heard my wife whirr). It rises and falls with acceleration. I changed out the rear wheel bearings and the front bearings. The sound is still there- definitely needed new front bearings anyway. The power steering pump has been flushed and is full and smooth- so I don't regard that as the problem- The tires are newer and properly inflated.

The TM:

6. CONTINUOUS LOW-PITCHED “ WHIRRING” OR SCRAPING SOUND. Step 1.Remove and inspect differential drive pinion bearings. (See paragraph 6-7, 6-9, or6-17) Replace bearings if damaged.

9.WHINE IN ALL SPEED RANGES. Step 1.Remove appropriate differential cover, (See paragraph 6-5, 6-8, or 6-15) Inspecting gear and drive pinion for damage.
Replace if damaged.

1616109858507.png

I watched a Pinion Seal replacement video, but they did not replace or remove that bearing- the TM seems to show it behind the seal [item 10] without anything holding it in? I don't see a leak there, but the noise per the TM could be from that bearing. My question is do I have to open the differential and pull the carrier to get the bearing changed?

Thanks for any input.

rtk

Steel Soldiers Supporter
yes to your question . Sounds like you need a diff overhaul . The noise could be bearings or worn gears or both , hard to say until you check , have you drained the diff yet ? check for metal in the oil ? They are not rocket science , but there is a procedure and get it wrong and you will end up with more problems . items 8,9 look like a shim and the crush collar for your backlash

edpdx

nyoffroad said: You didn't say if you had popped it into neutral while coasting, did the noise change?

I did not try this. Any tips?

Keith_J

nyoffroad said: You didn't say if you had popped it into neutral while coasting, did the noise change?

I did not try this. Any tips?
Find a deserted road with a good grade. Be very careful when doing this test as if the engine quits, yes u have no power steering and only two brake pedal applications. Called Arkansas overdrive, it is illegal in most states.

If the noise decreases, it is gear noise.

Skinny

Blazer or pickup variant? 10 bolt and 14 bolt are way different?

Speed variant makes me believe its driveline and not engine. When holding a speed, get on and off the gas. If the putch changes with the engine you are looking at PS pump, alternator bearings, transmission oil pump. If the whine stays exactly with road speed its more tcase, driveshaft, axle.

I wouldnt jump to rebuilding the diff just yet until you pull the cover and look at the gears and bearing races.

Does it make whining noise only when wife is present during drive?

Sent from my SM-T380 using Tapatalk

edpdx

Blazer or pickup variant? 10 bolt and 14 bolt are way different?

Speed variant makes me believe its driveline and not engine. When holding a speed, get on and off the gas. If the putch changes with the engine you are looking at PS pump, alternator bearings, transmission oil pump. If the whine stays exactly with road speed its more tcase, driveshaft, axle.

I wouldnt jump to rebuilding the diff just yet until you pull the cover and look at the gears and bearing races.

Does it make whining noise only when wife is present during drive?

10 bolt Blazer. Thanks for the tip. I'm replacing the Directional Signal Lever right now- waiting on that locking ring plastic cover. I'll road test everything in a couple of days. As I recall the pitch changes with pedal like my old Kraco stereo interference back in the 70's.

As far as the whining noise it's a trade off- some times she whines, other times she calmly reminds me to spend less on ammo and bar-b-que.

• Haha
Reactions: rtk

Skinny

Install a Kraco and hope it cancels the noise out. As far as the wife...pay someone to break in your home, scare them off with a firearm...boom all the ammo you want.

You're welcome!!!

That sounds like engine related. If you cant narrow it down you may end up pulling drivebelts or unbolting the converter to seperate the engine from trans.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks